other F25 questions

Use this forum to buy, sell, trade or advertise anything. Non-commercial only.
Michel

Re: other F25 questions

Post by Michel »

R. Bush wrote:I have found a couple of F25s for sale in New England, so I am going to have to relay on a marine surveyor to tell me if they are worth putting an offer in on. I can't imagine most surveyors have seen a lot of Freedoms, so are there any known problem areas I need to tell whoever I end up using to take a particularly close look at?
Thanks;
Ralph
Ralph, one of our long time contributors here is a surveyor in New England. He recently wrote an article in Blue Water Sailing. I don't have his name at hand, someone else here probably knows.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

That would be a great bit of information to have. Someone who actually knows the boats, and hasn't been recommended :evil: by the vendor!

Can anyone help with the name?

Thanks.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

Make sure your surveyor tests for moisture. Any place there is a deck fitting, the 5200 is likely old and dry and has allowed some moisture penetration. You will want to re-bed any problem areas with epoxy.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

harv17

Post by harv17 »

I have a F-25 that I'm considering selling. The boat is very good condition and a very well equipped boat. It has a very good main. hardly used spinnaker, Jib and storm jib. The Johnson 9.9 is serviced every year. It has a gell cell battery with a solar panel to maintain the charge. The galley has a 2 burner Origo stove and the usual Igloo chest. It is dry stored every winter and the wing mast bearing was overhauled last year. A Garmin GPS, Raymarine auto pilot and Raymarine Tridata knot, speed, temp gage. AM/FM/CD player radio with 2 speakers. Cushions for in and out.
It is berthed on LI Sound near Glen Cove, NY. I have used it only for daysailing since I bought it 7 yrs ago.
If interested send me your phone # and I'll return the call...Harv

Michel

Surveyor

Post by Michel »

Surveyor Dwight Escalera is in Rhode Island. Please search this board for his contact details.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

Looking at F25s for sale, some come with the inboard Yanmar diesel, and some have an outboard. I am assuming that the inboard was an option at the time the original owners bought their boats.

Anyone have a guess as to how much the original cost to have the inboard included in the boat was?

Any thoughts on why one configuration is better than another?

Do boats with the inboards tend to sell for more, or is it just one of those boating things that you do knowing you will never get any return for the investment?

Thanks for your opinions.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

how to contact dwight

dwight@executivemarineservices.com
401-369-0487
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

jjspearson

Post by jjspearson »

On the fixed round mast F-25: We have a 1984 F-25, hull number 207. I understood that because the fixed mast was one foot taller and the boom one foot longer, the increased sail area compensated for the less efficient mast section and the round mast boat was about equivalent to the wing mast 25's. I don't know about tacking angles, but I can tell you that the windward performance is considerabley better with a sta-sail. We have a small sta-sail that tacks on top of the gun mount, and a larger kevlar sta-sail, from a Melges 24 that tacks to the pay eye on the deck. Both hoist on the spinnaker halyard. We found that the smaller sta-sail being forward further, stays in clear air longer and seems to be about as efficient as the larger kevlar jib. When we use the spinnaker we drop the sta-sail, stuff it down the hatch and hook the halyard to the spinnaker. We have a tiller pilot, so I have done it single handed, but it is obviously much easier with two people.

I put a new teflon liner (1/16") in the gun mount and sprayed the mount and pole with Sailkote teflon spray. I can pull the pole out and set it from the cockpit.

Jim Pearson
Wenonah
Round Mast F25
Outboard