1988 Freedom 28 info

Use this forum to buy, sell, trade or advertise anything. Non-commercial only.
Walt H

1988 Freedom 28 info

Post by Walt H »

I'm a beginning sailor and have decided I have to own a boat! Been looking at ads for months now and had pretty much decided that I would get a Catalina 30, Ericson..... etc. Then I came across an ad for a 1988 Freedom 28 fractional sloop..... The free-standing mast and the self-tending jib really appeals to me as a new sailor. Been searching this forum for any info on these boats but there doesn't seem to be very much discussion about this model.
I would appreciate any advice/ info that is available on this model. Specfically any advice on what to look for in the pre- survey inspection, ( I understand that the balsa core in the hull must be checked for rot/ moisture). Any thoughts from Freedom owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Walt
So Calif

Goose13

Re: 1988 Freedom 28 info

Post by Goose13 »

You might want to start out on a F21. That was my first boat which I had for 6 years, you can pick one up in good shape for under $5,000 and they are low maintenance. I just upgraded to a Freedom 33 Center Board Cat Ketch. Its out at Oxnard if you want to go for a sail. Once you have a Freedom I don't think you will ever want a stayed mast. Good luck.
Doug and Marie
Millennnium Falcon F33 CK cb #4
1980 wish bone booms Electric Drive

seawolf82

Post by seawolf82 »

Hi Walt - I actually purchased a 1988 Freedom 28 sloop in July and spent the summer sailing her around Buzzard's Bay in Massachusetts. This was my first sailboat, although I grew up sailing Beetlecats, Lasers and 420s on the bay. I'd be happy to try and answer any questions about the boat you may have. I also have the survey from our purchase I can share if that would be of interest to you. I've also attached one of the brochures for the boat, which I think I found earlier on in my search on this website.

Paul
Attachments
Freedom28M (1) (1).pdf
(4.82 MiB) Downloaded 481 times

Walt H

Post by Walt H »

Thank you seawolf! Looks like I may have missed out on this boat, ( seller thinks he has a buyer already). If that falls thru and I have a chance to get it, I will contact you with more questions.

Thanks again,

Walt