Sea Tow or Boat US Towing

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
Ereiss

Sea Tow or Boat US Towing

Post by Ereiss »

We same mainly in the Narragansett and Buzzards Bay area with our Freedom 38. Does anyone have thoughts on why one should select one over the other of the primary towing companies?

I noted in Sea Tow that if I note that I was referred the referring party receives $25 off on their next renewal. Assuming that is the way I want to go, does someone want this benefit? Certainly better than my leaving it blank.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

GeoffSchultz

Re: Sea Tow or Boat US Towing

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Ed,

I use Boat US, but I can't claim that it's due to any analysis on my part. Luckily I've never had to use the service. I'm up for renewal soon, so I'd be glad to partake in a discount, but no hard feelings if you choose Sea Tow/someone else.

-- Geoff (Boat US # 05068409)
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

treilley

Post by treilley »

My yacht policy(Amica) covers it automatically so I can call anyone. No limit on distance. I can be 100nm offshore and if a towing company will come out my insurer will pay for it. They see it as protecting their investment. Cheaper to pay for towing than a total loss.

Check with your insurance co. You may already be covered. Not so if BoatUS as they want to sell this to you separately.

Tim

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

It may not apply to you but SeaTow covers me for any boat I’m “in command” of, not just my F32. BoatsUS wouldn’t allow that.

I work for an environmental engineering company and use boats for work every few months (and got swamped once in rough waves) and I’ve also borrowed a friend’s powerboat to go scuba diving (the engine died.)

Two tows so far, neither one for my F32 “Justiina”, the boat actually listed on the card.

Rick
Tallahassee

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

reread my policy, I get 50% of up to 500 for each occurrence covered but no more than two in any season. They will also pay 50% if i have to haul the boat for hurricane reasons (are your coverages better?)

regards,
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

From what I've garnered from other forums and from people I know who work in the business as tow captains, the Tow Boat US policy is the best. There were cases of Sea Tow actually claiming salvage rights reported. I think if you do a Google search you might come up with some other forum discussions out there. I've had Tow Boat US for about 5 years now and had two tows during that time. They are no where near the break even point with me, yet they don't seem to mind renewing us. :)

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I have heard this first hand, although not from an unbiased person. (She works at TowBoat/US)

You buy your membership from SeaTow's local franchise. When they tow a member for free, they have to do it for free. So if they have two calls in, one from a member and one from a non-member (who will pay them), they have an incentive to tow in the non-member first.

TowBoat/US memberships fees go into the corporate office, and the owner of the local operation gets paid by the corporate folks when they tow in a member. Consequently, they are more eager to tow you in promptly if you are a member.
s/v Flutterby, Freedom 33 cat ketch, now junk rigged

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I checked, and with Towboat US I am also covered for any boat I'm on and any boat I own (whether I'm on it or not).

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage