it's official: I currently own a F25

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
daa

Re: it's official: I currently own a F25

Post by daa »

Hi Jim,
I'm going to sail it. I have one more day's work before it goes into the water.
I put in a new depthfinder--had to drill out the old thru-hull to take a larger one.
Know any good and reasonable canvas workers around Barnegat? I need a new bimini and am going to add a dodger.
I'll be in Forked River. It's a beautiful place.
David

peaceandfreedom wrote:congratulations David, I am sure you will love your new boat.
Will you sail her home to Barnegat Bay or trailer her? Where will you keep boat? I sometimes sail with a friend who keeps his boat at Dillons Creek marina in Toms River NJ.
Jim D

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

it's great to see how peoples F25's are coming together, post some pics of your projects. I hope to get mine in the water in 2 weeks, I've decided to keep here in Wickford RI.
cheers,
yarrow
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

I will ask my friend for a reference for a canvas shop.
Am I right to assume you are sailing north on the outside? If the seas are high, keep your companionway closed if you do not have a dodger. Are you familiar with entering Barnegat?

Happy sailing
Jim D

daa

Post by daa »

I will go on the outside from Cape May to Absecon at Atlantic City. As I understand it, there are three bridges here on the inside that are only 30 feet high. I will then go on the inside from Absecon to Forked River. I have made this trip before.
I haven't been through Barnegat Inlet in a long time, and would just as well avoid this place. Not too pretty sometimes.
Why do you say to keep my hatch closed? Just as a general rule? or something specific to the Freedom 25?

David

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

[url]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I1wyAMLa3oM/T ... 91.jpg/url]here is a pic of my F25, just finished removing all the bottom paint from boat. It has bee in fresh water for 4 years to my surprise no blistering that I can see. will sand with 100 grit and 2 coats of new bottom paint. I also serviced my main hatch, and prepping to fill all the misc holes in deck from misc stuff which was installed on boat from past owners.
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

Nah, it's nothing specific to the F25; it has a bridge deck to exclude water from the interior. It could be the previous respondent was confusing it with the F28-2 and F30 which do not have a bridge deck; you must keep the lower hatch board in place when things get dicey. Advice about inlets is to avoid them when current is opposed by strong winds; this makes for what I call "square waves".

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Yes, nothing specific to the F25 but no confusion with F28-2 or F30 on my part. I have sailed this part of the Atlantic, In high winds plenty of times and know that if I sailed my F25 there without a dodger and my companionway open, my interior would have been soaked. If I need to close mine on Long Island Sound to stay dry when it is blowing 25+ one would certainly need to do the same on the Atlantic. I have had plenty of waves spray over the cabin top soaking the skipper in it's path.
Jim D

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

companion doors:
as for F25 owners what do you have, I have a single large unit which is tinted plastic. but have been thinking of making one which is divided into 3 units and would allow me to have screened units to slide in place, and or put a bottom section in for cruising etc.
cheers,
yarrow
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

daa

Post by daa »

I don't like the single hatch board on my 25 either, and I'm in the process of making new ones out of epoxy-coated 3/4" exterior plywood. And while I'm at it, I'm also making a set that will hold my house air-conditioner.
Actually, after the boards are finished and working, I'm going to try to cut the existing hatch in two. With a new piece of teak molding at the joint, it should work fine. Just not sure about cutting the original board. Is it made of lexan?
The ones I'm building new from ply are in case I mess up cutting the original one, I'm not left with nothing.

David