F29 (Freedom 29) Initial Stability

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
flyboy1717

F29 (Freedom 29) Initial Stability

Post by flyboy1717 »

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a F29 however I have never sailed aboard one, or even stepped foot aboard one while in the water. Could people more knowledgeable on the boats please provide some insight into their performance. I have heard anecdotes of them being very tender due to their hull design. This is concerning to me, and wanted to hear others feelings on the subject.

Thanks for your help.

Roger

yarrow

Re: F29 (Freedom 29) Initial Stability

Post by yarrow »

I have a freedom 25 which is the little sister. I live in RI and really like my boat alot.
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

Threshold

Post by Threshold »

I have had my Freedom 29, hull #15 for 20 years. I have only sailed it on a lake here in TX but I would have to say this is not the boat for those who like a flat ride...but it is stable. Let me clarify...this boat, I am told, was designed by Hoyt to be fast, stable, single handed, and solid. It is all of those BUT when not in motion and healed at it's 20 degree design pitch it will be very tender. I have been also told they only made 25 of these because of this tender problem...it was and expensive boat and sales reps were not impressed with the immediate dip when one comes on board at a trade show. It would not sell to those who have to do the selling. But it is a great boat and sails wonderfully...almost everyone in my yacht club loves how this boat handles but all of them also find it irritating if you in the dock or at anchor and you move about the boat...it really moves about and rocks. I still have all the original equipment and everything still works...it has been maintained during active use. Even sitting in the water for ten years with no attention it still cleaned up nice in a few days. Things to keep in mind when buying...make sure the mast is not damaged and make sure you have the hardware to mount it...especially the mast wedge as replacing it is impossible...unless you make one.

Others...I have a full set of the original manual if someone needs to know something.

kpbrach

Post by kpbrach »

I have recently acquired an F29. I will be bringing it from its home in Sackets Harbor to its new home in Sodus Bay in early June. To Threshold: I would love copies of any manuals, etc. that you have and I'll gladly reimburse you for your troubles- Thanks, Kevin Brach