Freedom 40 at large

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
strathcarron

Freedom 40 at large

Post by strathcarron »

Congratulations on the new website.

I am sailing a Freedom 40 from UK to India, but slowly, and I thought that if any owner needed advise before voyaging my contacts might be useful. Please visit http://www.strathcarrons-ahoy.com

The rig is not standard. I was introduced to cat rigs with a Nonsuch, and also owned a Wharram catamaran which had a mast sleeve instead of tracks. The Nonsuch system I found to be far simpler than the Freedom variable wishbone and the sleeve while fine in theory too thrilling downwind in practice. Consequently we have a Nonsuch system but with an extra six feet added to the centre of the main wishbone to carry a larger main.

Everyone always asks about the rig, but for me the best part of the boat is the hull. We have been in some nasty weather as one does and she ploughs through deeply and without undue concern, never yet having fallen off a wave.

Fair winds to all Freedoms - and everyone else out there too!

GeoffSchultz

Re: Freedom 40 at large

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Welcome to the new forum! And best of luck on the cruise. It sounds wonderful.

I'd just like to make a comment on your web site. You're using a script font, which at least on MSIE and Firefox and a 1280x1024 resolution screen, ends up being very difficult to read. Perhaps if you just increased the font size it would make it more readable. But, keep up the good work. As someone who generates extensive cruising logs, I know how difficult it can be to make the time to do it.

-- Geoff
http://www.geoffschultz.org
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Welcome aboard Ian! I was hoping you would come along. I know you are going to be a great contributor here. Someday our boats will probably cross paths and I look forward to that.

I love the changes you have made to your website but I have to agree with Geoff. The font is very difficult to make out. Perhaps darker and larger as Geoff suggests.

Thanks

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

strathcarron

Post by strathcarron »

Thanks for the feedback. Today was the first day of the new website and I did it all on my Mac where it is pin sharp in a lovely font. I then checked in an internet cafe where they - like most people I suppose - use the more primitive Microsoft browser and it is indeed very fuzzy. I have now changed to a Microsoft font which should be legible to Microsoft Explorer.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Looks much better Ian.

Ian I'd love to know more about your windvane setup and how that's working for you. Would you be able to start a thread in the mechanical or rigging sections?

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Kiwi Sansom

Post by Kiwi Sansom »

Hi,
My name is Kiwi and this is my initial post on the site.
I am interested in purchasing a Freedom 40 Centre Cockpit to do some serious cruising in. Currently I own a Dehler 38 CWS in which I have cruised and raced over the years, everything from an Atlantic Crossing west to east and a Fastnet in 89.
What I would like to know if anyone can help me with is are there any major down sides the the 40 centre cockpit and how do the wrap around sails work on long passages?
Any info would be appreciated as I am not too far away from making a deal.
Thanks in antispation.
Kiwi

BEYOND

Post by BEYOND »

Kiwi:

Did you purchase a Freedom 40?