2009 Destinations: long and short

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
fmolden

2009 Destinations: long and short

Post by fmolden »

Well I thought I had my plans formulated to head out for another jaunt down the ICW in the fall of 2009 but this discussion of a meet in P-Town makes me want to go to Maine.

P-Town would make a nice stopover. Probably leaving from Annapolis area I would do stops in Cape May, Block Island, P-Town then up to Monhegan Island area.

And now as a cold front is bearing down life in the Keys over next winter is also appealing. Armchair sailing can be sooo stressful.

Anyone else going North or South next year?

Anyone want to discuss sailing in mid or northern Chesapeake drop me line.

THATBOATGUY

Re: 2009 Destinations: long and short

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Hey! Over Coffee with Jim yesterday we were also kicking the p-town idea around. Here at home Kerri and I discussed it as a real possibility for a stop over on our way North to Nova Scotia. Jim points out that prior to July first there are lots of options for anchoring/mooring balls but tends to fill up after that. I've done the Cape May to Block Island run a few times and wouldn't mind another one but we also discussed doing the hell gate / long island sound route.

Also... why not both!?! We don't plan on spending much time here when we get "home" just re provision, fix what needs to be fixed and head south to the Bahamas.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Ryley

Post by Ryley »

If you're coming up to Boston/Ptown/Maine over the summer, please let me know - I'd love to meet up with you guys if possible. May be in Glory, or it may be in RockIt.

Ptown does fill up pretty quickly, but you can still usually find something if you get into harbor early.

PrimFY45

Post by PrimFY45 »

P-town sounds like fun, but we're headed the other way. Southern half of Chesapeake for the rest of the summer (yeah, hazy, hot, humid + nettles), then south. Charleston for X-giving; Titusville X-mas; Lauderdale, then either straight or left. Return to West River sometime next year.

Pete
Pete & Pokey - s/v Prim - Freedom 45CC
www.sailblogs.com/member/svprim

marno

Post by marno »

We stopped in PTown without knowing the background (ingorant Ozzies), the day before the Mardi Gras started. Well worth a look and it's a lot of fun. I have a few pictures on the website. http://www.yachtattitudes.com/photogall ... 20well.jpg
There weren't too many boats when we were there, so we anchored near the big sand banks (it was quite entertaining watching some of the boats, that were a bit too far away to warn, go aground.
Marno

F39 Express

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

The following is my 3-4 year cruising plan:

Since this is the first time that the boat has been back in home territory in 9 years, I figure that we'll just stick around the RI/MA area for most of the season. We'll probably head up to ME for a few weeks.

In Sept/Oct we'll head through Long Island sound, through NY and then up the Delaware and down the Chesapeake. Then we'll make our way to FL where we'll leave the boat until Jan/Feb, when we'll cross to Isla Mujares, Mexico. Once again we'll head down to Belize where we'll stay out 90 days and then head to Honduras.

As hurricane season approaches, we'll either head into the Rio Dulce in Guatemala or head to Panama and head through the canal and leave the boat on the Pacific side. The following year we'll either bang a left and exlpore the Pacific coasts of Colombia, Ecuador and Puru or we'll bang a right and head along the coasts of Pacific coasts of Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Savador, Guatamala, Mexico and eventually end up in the US.

Once we're in the US, I don't know how far N I want to take the boat. However, I eventually plan on shipping the boat from the W coast to the Great Lakes and cruising them before moving BlueJacket back to the E coast.

Of course, all of this is subject to change due to unknown circumstances. But one can at least plan...speaking of which, it's time to hit the sack and read my Pacific Mexico cruising guide before nodding off.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Tom V

Post by Tom V »

I'm planning to sail north from Bermuda in mid-to-late June for Halifax, then wander east and cruise the south coast of Newfoundland for a couple of weeks. I did this trip a couple of years ago and was blessed with wonderful weather most of the time. But that was in late July and August. I'm expecting a lot more fog by being a little earlier in the year... maybe I won't see anything at all this time, beyond the bow of my boat!

I want to be back in Halifax near the beginning of August. Then I have a couple of weeks to get the boat south to Annapolis where I will have to abandon Jackrabbit for a couple of months.

I'm hoping to do a week long family cruise on the Chesapeake in late October, and then sail home to Bermuda at the beginning of November.

My planned departure date -- June 17 -- is creeping up on my fast and the list of things I want to get done to the boat is getting longer, not shorter! And that's not even counting the stuff I'm supposed to get done at home and work before I skive off for the summer!

Tom

Tom Vesey
Freedom 44 Jackrabbit
Bermuda
Tom Vesey
Jackrabbit
Freedom 44 Hull #26 1986
Bermuda