racing key west regatta F28 ck

numbknots

racing key west regatta F28 ck

Post by numbknots »

5/19 Bone Island Regatta starts out of Venice fl very light winds as we all leave at 11am. By 5pm we had logged in an incredible 7 miles. With light air and 180 miles to go it was time to turn on engine and head home. Like the man said "Ya gotta know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em". We did try out stay sail where we could and that was very nice to see it working. I did get many projects done in preparation for this race so it did get me movitated.
What I learned, 1-You just cant talk yourself into better wind, read the forecast, and 2- get boat prepared early. Now what to do with all this beer? Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

GeoffSchultz

Re: racing key west regatta F28 ck

Post by GeoffSchultz »

numbknots wrote: Now what to do with all this beer? Numbknots
Since it does go bad, I'm afraid that you're going to be forced to drink it! :lol:

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

Clave Booms Down 2.gif
Clave Booms Down 2.gif (75.2 KiB) Viewed 8211 times
Dont know if this picture is going to work, several adult beverages into the evening, but here goes. Clave' full sails wheeling and dealing, a good day. Numbknots

Michel

Post by Michel »

Great photo; nice sail design too!
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Teke's Pride

Post by Teke's Pride »

Hey Numbknots,

Nice photo but that certainly was not taken in light winds!

By the way who made your sails? I like the square tops. As soon as I get a full-time job again, I'll be having a new mainsail made for my F21. I'll probably go with Schurr Sails out of Pensacolla but I am open to others if you have any feedback about your sails you would like to pass along.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

Picture was taken in 20 to 30 knts in october I beleive. That would have been the race from sarasota to venice.A few broken masts and a couple droped rudders some torn sails but the Freedom handled it just fine. The key West race was in april with light to no wind on the nose.
Sails were made here in town by Knighton Sail makers. They are very fair and have a web site on the net. So check it out I have 3ft sq tops wish I went bigger maybe 4 ft. They pull much better but then most anything would after using the wrap around configuration that was nearly 30 yrs old. Good luck Numbknots