F25 PHRF ratings

moosemcclintock

F25 PHRF ratings

Post by moosemcclintock »

With the lack of a true winter in the Northeast, I'm looking to start working on my newly acquired F25 in the next couple weeks. Though my wife thinks I got it solely for crusing with her, in truth I'm going to race it (or a friend of mine will) as much as possible, though we'll definitely day cruise. I'm going to make a new main for the boat with a slightly fat head, and also a new kite that will probably be just a touch bigger than the standard measured kite. The boat has a wing mast and an inboard engine. My problem is I have to submit a PHRF certificate and I'm realy not sure where the boat is going to rate, it may not even be worth it. What do other F-25's rate in PHRF around the country? I've looked thru the US Sailing lists, and many area lists, but few have the F25 rated.

unfetteredalexandria

Re: F25 PHRF ratings

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

I think right around 200 is what I've seen for the round mast; a little lower (e.g. 190) for the wingmast and staysail versions. I think there is a PHRF list somewhere on this site.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I think what you're looking for is

http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic. ... hrf#p40804

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Jack Woods

Post by Jack Woods »

I just mailed my application and check yesterday. I'll be racing Wednesday nights with the Cottage Park Yacht Club (I belong to Winthrop Yacht Club) in Boston Harbor. I'm expecting around 204. Round mast, inboard, fixed two blade, and a staysail.
I just bought the boat in November and am looking forward to just getting out without worrying about crew like my last boat. I've got three new Haarstick sails.

Jack
1983 F25 round mast #184 Badaka
Yanmar diesel

Jack Woods

Post by Jack Woods »

Moose,

I just got my certificate back from the Boston Harbor fleet. Base is 201 plus 6 for the prop (inboard) so the rating is 207.
My Wednesday night group just voted to allow spinnakers so I'll be getting an update.

I launched last Thursday and motored it from Beverly to Winthrop on Saturday.

Jack
1983 F25 round mast #184 Badaka
Yanmar diesel

moosemcclintock

I just got the designs for the main and spinnaker, now I have the areas so I'm sending all that in to PHRF-NB. In an old rating on the bay the F25 was 222 but I think I'm going to be in the 196 range with the spinnaker and 204 without.

moosemcclintock

Well, I ended up getting a 237, which I think might be generous (though I don't have a jib, which would really help speed wise, I do have the inboard, wing mast version) but I have to sail a couple times to get it figured. I did a 29 mile race Saturday around Aquidneck Island (Newport is on the south end, we started north near the Mount Hope Bridge). The start was a run, downwind we had a great duel with a C&C99, F3 and Sabre 38, we were all Spinnaker. I was surprised that we sailed away from J-30's and other ~30'ers so that was good. I was able to do a couple quicker maneuvers and actually led boat for boat after the first 12 miles, which was pretty slick, but then we had to go on the wind. I have a new Technora fat head main and I immediately two-blocked the mainsheet so we had to beat about 15 miles with the main only partially trimmed, at least we got to watch all our friends sail by us. I have to either cut some off the leech of the main, which I don't want to do, or figure a better way of configuring the mainsheet which I'd prefer to do since I hate the build up of blocks (about 15" worth) from the current system. If I can figure a good way of leading the mainsheet off a double block to either side with ratchets I think I'll be pretty good. Just have to noodle it a little.

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

I've seen F25's with main traveler in the cockpit, which takes a lot of space. But I am thinking about running a much more simple system which will lead it back to the mast and along the deck, my biggest concern with this is the rotation of the mast verse boom while having a tight sheet connecting the 2.
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

moosemcclintock

I have thought of the same thing and can't figure out how to get around the mast arm getting in the way. Setting the blocks further aft on the boom will keep the mast from rotating. Bit of a poser.

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Hello Moose,

Could you post some pictures of your new sail.

Thanks
Jim D