Looking for help

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Bob Green

Looking for help

Post by Bob Green »

I Currently own A Bayfield 40 Ketch and am looking to simplify, move up and live aboard as i single had 90 % of the time. ! have looked at Freedoms in the past and am currently looking at a Freedom 45 CC. I have been searching the web and am looking for any direction, insite, recomendations, likes and dislikes etc. as they relate to the mfg. quality, sailing capabilities, components used. An unstayed mast has me a little nervous. But the simplicity is so intriging. any help would be appreciated Thanks.

Michel

Re: Looking for help

Post by Michel »

Unstayed masts are nothing to get nervous about. We Freedom sailors always ask: what would you think if you would board a plane that had wires to keep the wings attached to the hull..... right, pretty archaic.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

PrimFY45

Post by PrimFY45 »

We bought our 45CC in '06 and just moved aboard after averaging 1,000 mi per season in Chesapeake Bay. The 45 is well built, stout, easy to single hand and more than comfortable. My wife and I and three small dogs are headed south to the Florida Keys and Bahamas for at least a year. The only drawback we have found so far is our 45 is short a bit on holding tanks - 13 fwd, 9 aft - with no apparent space for a larger tank aft. Not a problem offshore, but in port we get to know the Honeydipper guy quite well.

Good luck in your search. The 45CC is a good choice.
Pete & Pokey - s/v Prim - Freedom 45CC
www.sailblogs.com/member/svprim

jamesmx5

Post by jamesmx5 »

I owned a Freedom 42 (Hull #1 of the 45 series, they added a sugar scoop) for 6 years. Lived aboard for 5 and cruised for 2.

They are great boats, easy to sail, roomy, well made and great in snotty weather. Just reef early to get rid of any weather helm.

Raising the main in a blow can be complicated with fixed lazy jacks. We modified our's so it could be brought forward and affixed to the mast after the sail was stowed and this solved this issue.