F36 mast head sheave box(es)

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
plolic

F36 mast head sheave box(es)

Post by plolic »

I have not yet ascended my mast to check whether there is only one sheave on the top for main halyard or there are more. Does anyone know if there are more? Currently I secure my boom with lazy jacks prior lowering the main sail and I slacken them off when the main is up for better sail shape. I do not have rigid boom vang so I need them (lazy jacks) tightened to prevent the boom falling on the dodger or deck. I'd love to have a topping lift fitted for this purpose. How do others cope with this apart from buying a rigid boom vang?

phildowney

Re: F36 mast head sheave box(es)

Post by phildowney »

hi

if there is no sheave you can still have a topping lift if you can atatch a wire or line to the masthead as you can put a small purchase and cleat at the end of the boom.
this is standard on the 35 ketch as a refinement of this i lead the tail forward along the boom with shockcord so ther isnt any rope tail to catch on things

phil kusi f35 ck uk
Owner of Kusi, UK F35 Cat ketch
Southampton UK

plolic

Post by plolic »

Phil,

thank you. I seem to see two smaller eyelets on the side which most probably serve as flag halyards or something similar but not sure these are strong enough to support 17ft boom and main sail on f36 hence me asking if there is one more sheave up there.

regard/petar

Forever Freedom

Post by Forever Freedom »

plolic wrote:I have not yet ascended my mast to check whether there is only one sheave on the top for main halyard or there are more. Does anyone know if there are more? Currently I secure my boom with lazy jacks prior lowering the main sail and I slacken them off when the main is up for better sail shape. I do not have rigid boom vang so I need them (lazy jacks) tightened to prevent the boom falling on the dodger or deck. I'd love to have a topping lift fitted for this purpose. How do others cope with this apart from buying a rigid boom vang?
We have mounted a S/S flat bar across the top of the sheave box - can't remember it's dimension but we had it pre-drilled it with 2 holes for mounting on top of the sheave box and a hole at each end for a large ring bolt from which we hang a large single block - that way we have a topping lift and a spare main halyard/topping lift which we can use also for our stern passerelle when Med-moored. Having been hoisted on main halyard, was easy to drill sheave box top for mounting bolts (Makita battery drill) and bolt across top of sheave box.