Quick Fix for a Dinghy Outboard

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
cmillsnj10

Quick Fix for a Dinghy Outboard

Post by cmillsnj10 »

I know this is pretty off-topic, but I thought there might be some folks who have acquired expertise with outboards over their years with Freedoms, and so I'm giving it a try.

Our Freedom 32, with my wife single-handing her, is currently in the midst of a 6-week sojourn in Maine. We have a Honda 2 4-stroke outboard that lives on the inflatable. It's decided not to start and my wife believes water must have gotten into the fuel. In the past when this has happened and we've been at our dock in CT, we could take the motor to an outboard repair site, where the service would say the carburetor needed to be cleaned or even rebuilt. Such an undertaking probably isn't in the realm of possibility along the Maine Coast (she's currently in Buck's Harbor, on the edge of Eggemoggin Reach, on the way to Northeast Harbor, where I'll rejoin the cruise 8/1). Does anyone have suggestions for interim fixes? Replacing the existing fuel in the tank is of course a first thought, though that doesn't address the apparently bad fuel that's sitting in the carburetor. Do you think a simple fuel replacement for the tank has any real prospects for success? Any suggestions that take account of the situation and the limitations posed by that situation would definitely be appreciated.

Chris Mills

fmolden

Re: Quick Fix for a Dinghy Outboard

Post by fmolden »

Had similar issue with my 2 hp Honda. I drained tank, opened carb settling bowl wing nut and drained bowl, added small amount of new gas with excessive amount I'd dry gas additive. And new spark plug. Pulled until it started to sputter, added more fresh gas and been fine since. Also replaced carb assembly ($70) once in the past which could be done on the boat. Ethanol gas is usually the culprit.

dlynch

Post by dlynch »

Branch Pond Marine has a satellite repair shop in Webber's Cove Boat Yard in Blue Hill. You could make an appointment and sail there to have them repair it or, at least, give you a diagnosis. This is right down the Reach and then up Western Blue Hill Bay. 'Sort of" on your way to NE Harbor and a beautiful scenic detour. The repair shop is not staffed full time so be sure to make an appointment first.
Don
F30 Solitude

Dr. Donald Lynch
Professor of Psychology
Unity College

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

The prior answer should hopefully help. I have a Racor that use on my dinghy that's mounted to the transom.
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

My 5 HP Honda, and the previous 7.5 HP Honda had small petcocks on the bottom of the carburetor float bowl. I always drained the bowl contents if I anticipated the engine would not be used the following day. I don't know if the 2HP has such a petcock, but if it does, using it prevents all manner of carb problems, specifically varnish deposits when the gas evaporates.