NEW FREEDOM 25 OWNER

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
markmuk

NEW FREEDOM 25 OWNER

Post by markmuk »

I just purchased a 1983, round-mast Freedom 25 with an inboard Yanmar diesel for daysailing/short cruising in the Puget Sound. I'm going through the "getting acquainted/cleanup phase" at the moment and hope to take her out for the first time next weekend. While I don't intend to race the boat I am concerned about its ability to sail into the wind. I've read that a small jib - a "napkin" someone wrote - can significantly improve the upwind performance. Does anyone have an opinion on the optimal size for a jib on the F25? My first sail on a new boat - YIKES! :mrgreen:

moosemcclintock

Re: NEW FREEDOM 25 OWNER

Post by moosemcclintock »

If you're just looking to try it out, you might look for a used Etchells jib, it's about the right size and there are plenty of them around. If you find it's compatible you can have a real sail made that is close to the dimensions depending on how the geometry of your sheeting works.

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

I have a wing mast F25 and was very surprised how well it went to wind for a cat rig, it's not a J24. I recently got 2 Harrstick staysails one being a non over lap and one being an over lap, based on the wind speed they work great and really balance the boat upwind but requires more work on the foredeck. Congrads on your new purchase and keep us posted on how your trials go
cheers,
Yarrow
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

markmuk

Post by markmuk »

Thanks Moose & Yarrow,

I'm going to take the boat out a few times with just the main and get used to the way she handles, then if necessary experiment with some different size jibs that I have or can borrow from friends. I'm used to sailing dinghies with jibs, so sailing the F25 with a small jib would be easy, especially if it furls up ;)

Mid-fifties and sunshine predicted for this weekend - sounds like good sailing weather on the Sound! :D

moosemcclintock

Post by moosemcclintock »

I might add that I race my boat more than anything else, and the breeze on Narragansett Bay is generally in the 15 knot range during the summer. I've got a few ideas on how to do a boomkin using the existing gunmount but that's a bit down the line. From comments of other owners, it seems like the jib will only work up to about 8-10 knots or so, then it's too overpowering (though I have no first hand experience). Because of this, I've never concentrated on developing what I want to do since I would be carrying a rating penalty for excess sail area I wouldn't be able to use most of the time. That said, the boat really needs more oomph in light air and if you're primarily cruising I think a roller furling jib tacked to either the deck or the eye on the gunmount (which I would prefer for visibility) would be a great addition. Like Yarrow, I have a rotating mast and it may be a different scenario for you with the round rig.