Freedom 39

OldRover

Freedom 39

Post by OldRover »

I am looking for anything on the Freedom 39. I have a great project boat and would like to understand better what is original versus modifications over the years. My goal is not necessarily to restore to exact original, but find the original designs are usually better than someone's 'improvements'.
Thanks in advance.
'82 F39 ph

folotp

Re: Freedom 39

Post by folotp »

Have you found anything? I am looking for documentation on the Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner too...
Pierre-André Folot
s/v “Farfelu” - Freedom 39 PH 1983, hull #14
Sailing the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario
Canada

OldRover

Post by OldRover »

No, I have not really found any documentation. But the F39ph owners from this forum have been really great along with input from the other Freedom owners. Over the course of the past year I have also tracked down a few of the original players from TPI and gained much insight on the original builds. If you have any specific questions or concerns, I may be of assistance or at least can point you in the right direction. My project has led me to become much more intimate with the F39ph than originally intended. I have gone to a complete gut (down to the hull) in the main cabin, basically all new mechanicals, and rebuilt motor. I have the original foremast and a new GMT Composites main, plus I am deviating some from the original rigging going with a pair of furling booms. The only thing that I cannot help with is how she sails since a fuel leak bumped our initial launch to net season…
'82 F39 ph

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

What kind of furling booms did you install? We are planning to retire and go cruising at age 66... and the thought of climbing the 3 mast steps each time I want to secure or remove the main halyard is not compelling. I would never consider a furling mast (or behind the mast) arrangement due to loss of battens and inability to drop the sail in case of a jam. Furling boom seems like interesting alternative... especially if reefing is possible.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

OldRover

Post by OldRover »

In my case moving to the furling boom came about for two main reasons. I have always wanted to use them on my own boat after getting to play with a couple different systems. Plus, I tend to single hand a lot and reefing always seems to be a hassle. The furling systems make life easier provided you are setup correctly. The other reason is that my f39ph had no booms when I purchased, so it seemed like a great opportunity to go with the furling.
I went with the Furlboom (YSA Furling Systems) for both the main and fore. Dougall Johnson was great to work with. Personally I think the system is really great. You can check out their website. Since the masts are carbon fiber, most other furling booms cannot be used, especially the LeizureFurl by Forespar which is a great system for an aluminum mast but never carbon fiber because it requires a large hole cut through fore and aft. I am mounting via stainless bands for the boom drive mechanisms and the Selden rigid vang lower mounts. My GMT Composites main mast needed no modification (just strap on the stainless bands and run the sail track which mounts to the existing track), but the older TPI foremast needed some grinding where the extra reinforcing "lump" was added for the gooseneck.
Paul Dennis in Warren, RI is a dealer and has installed a few on Freedoms. If you are west coast, YSA is in Costa Mesa, CA and can assist with an installer with Freedom experience. I did my work myself, but probably would have hired someone to install the sail tracks if they were stepped since I hate "the chair".
Some people have commented the furling booms are not acceptable for offshore, but they say the same about Freedoms' masts. Also, some have had issues with the sails jamming, but this does not occur with the Furlboom system due to the continuous track guide. Also, some have had issues with kinking when furling, but that only occurs if the boom is not at a 90 with the mast. Since the sails use full battens, reefing is a simple matter of furling in to a batten for best sail shape.
'82 F39 ph

Freespirit

Post by Freespirit »

We have an amazing Freedom 45 and are currently in Fiji and heading down to New Zealand this fall. We have sailed her 14,000 miles in the last year and a half and she is an amazing boat!
We are seriously looking at getting an in furling boom and would love to get more information from someone with a Freedom...........carbon firer mast! We thought the company Furlboom has gone out of business?? If this is incorrect, please let us know. Also in your research, is there another company you would recommend us looking into?
Thanks for any info you can provide.
sv Free Spirit
Chuck & Lauri
sv Free Spirit
Freedom 42 Hull #1
Somewhere in the Pacific
http://www.sailfreespirit.com