New 28CK User

drcscruggs

Re: New 28CK User

Post by drcscruggs »

Welcome, Where will you sail it in Switzerland?

VeloFellow

Post by VeloFellow »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJbsQaKB5AY

Jacques, enjoy your Freedom 30(28) cat ketch.

Raven did a major rebuild of his. Knows it well.

My brother put a new yanmar diesel in mine last year.
This year a new electric panel.
We mostly day sail the Florida west coast.

Post pictures of your boat when you pick it up.
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

seadago

Post by seadago »

Hello Jacques,and welcome to the forum. If you are living in Switzerland, keeping the boat in the Netherlands is a good bet. Great group of Freedom owners there. They have a fantastic annual gathering. Hans posted pics of the latest edition (Sep '18) on the site. Where in the UK are you currently? I think I'm just up the coast from you, in Lowestoft, Suffolk.
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

I’ve been posting quite a few threads about my 28 CK, Hull #4. Wondering if any of you, if you get the opportunity, would be willing to email some photos of your decks and cabin top? The previous owner went absolutely bonkers with his drill, and there are lines, blocks, and fairleads covering every inch of the deck. Since they’re all different brands (and not all stainless fasteners) I’m certain they aren’t stock. If you pm me, I’ll respond with my gmail address so we don’t give up too much to the spammers.

Many thanks~Jeff

seadago

Post by seadago »

Hi Jeff
My coachroof no longer looks like the original arrangement. It's now covered in solar pannels. However, originally, it had 3 fairleads on either side of the forward hatch, to direct the control lines from the main mast, and two 4-sheave organisers aft, close to the clutches. Aditionally, there was the lift line for the keel, which came though the cabin on an ss tube, and across the cabin roof diagonally to the winch on the stbd side. I absolutely hated that setup, so I installed an electric winch inside the cabin to lift and lower the keel. Will try to find a few old pics to show, but is you look for a thread here on the rigging schedule of these boats, you'll have diagrams of all the position of all the hw on the coachroof.
Cheers
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Awesome. I'm planning on doing two panels, 42"x19" on either side of the centerline.

I'm going to take a few photos next time I'm out at the boat, and I'll post them for critique. On the port side of your companionway, is there a stainless 'riser' with stoppers and camcleats? Can't tell if mine is stock or not...

seadago

Post by seadago »

Jeff, for what is worth, I would not be too wedded to the original arrengement. Do your own thing according to your sailing habits. E.g. I sail single handed. One winch at starboard only was not sufficient. Needed one on either side also. Redirected the lines from the main mast to allow for solar pannels. Installed preventers on both booms, not considered in the original schedule but needed with fat roachy sails. Might also consider running the control lines so that the reefing lines lay on the same side as the halyard for that sail. With my rig (G10) I need to have hold of both when reefing, so that the sail does not spill out of the boom on any breeze. Etc,etc. Probably trial and error is best way to figure a good arrangement for you.
Cheers
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa