Looking at new boat (Freedom 40/40)

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
Craig

Looking at new boat (Freedom 40/40)

Post by Craig »

Presently have a 1987 Freedom 36/38. Looking at a 1995 40/40 (fin keel 7' draft).
Would like to hear opinions of those who have sailed both. Plusses of present boat- cost; available mooring; less draft, simpler systems.
Plusses of 40/40 room, speed, standing shower, systems (newer electronics, a/c, heater, freezer, better electricals overall, light, second head, bimini already installed).
Hard choice now, but would love to hear thoughts out there.

GeoffSchultz

Re: Looking at new boat (Freedom 40/40)

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Unfortunately the search doesn't work well with terms like "40/40", as it drops the "/" and you get every post related to 40s, but you might find some answers at:

http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10234

If that doesn't do it, let us know.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Williwaw

Post by Williwaw »

My wife and I just finished our 3rd season with our 40/40 and, aside from the lousy weather in the northeast this season, we love it. It is fast, comfortable, has great room and accommodations, and is a head-turner. We cannot enter a harbor without someone admiring and complimenting the boat. (The hull is flag blue awlgrip.)

We've sailed in company with other boats about our size and we pull away from all on every point of sail and point higher to windward. I've never sailed the Freedom 38, so I can't compare, but we are very pleased with the boat's performance, seaworthiness and systems. There were several bugs to work out during our first two years of ownership, but everything is sorted out now and we simply get on and sail--fast--to wherever we choose to go.

Loren Lettick
Williwaw

Williwaw

Post by Williwaw »

As a followup, our 40/40 does have some quirks. It refuses to back to port, which I attribute to the offset propellor shaft.

Ours is a tall rig (64' above the water line) with a wing keel--5' 3" draft. She is still very stiff, but the mainsail is difficult to furl. We installed a stack pack, but there is so much sail it takes several minutes to douse, climb a few steps up the mast, and zip up the main. It's worth it though when we're doing 8+ knots on a reach in 12-15 knots of wind, or 5-6 knots downwind in 8-10 knots of wind. And as you know, without shrouds, the main can be set square to the wind--direct downwind sailing without a chute!

Loren Lettick
Williwaw

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Williwaw wrote:As a followup, our 40/40 does have some quirks. It refuses to back to port, which I attribute to the offset propellor shaft.
The problem is that the prop walks the boat to starboard in reverse. I think that you'll find that it'll back to port if you get it moving and then put it in neutral.
And as you know, without shrouds, the main can be set square to the wind--direct downwind sailing without a chute!
Be careful putting the boom out at 90 degrees if you have Battcars. They're only good to 100 or 110 degrees and its easy to exceed that with the shape of the sail. I broke quite a few of them until I figured that out.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org