BLACK MAGIC II

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
THE MECHANIC

BLACK MAGIC II

Post by THE MECHANIC »

As I stated in an earlier post...Black magic II is for sale and in a sorry state . I'm doing the home work as to whether it is a viable project to bring this once fine and much admired craft back to life .Bearing in mind that the going market price for a F40 cc in good order is around US$ 70-90,000 and this boat is advertised for about US$110,000.
I need to ball park a few $$$ figures for the following items if any one has had recent experience of having to replace /repair any of the following;
1) new main and mizzen
2) new centerboard... (the current one is missing) :shock:
3) strip and relay teak decks
4) replace all running rigging
5) Replace rudder goudgeon bushes
6) Pull masts and recaulk at deck
These are just some of the major items. The interior refit,leaky ports, engine and refridgeration overhaul,electrical sysyem overhaul etc.etc.etc. Ill work on those prices myself
This will help put some perspective on the job with out wasting the time of boat yards and sailmakers to give me quotes
All imput will be appreciated
Attachments
bd5193105025474221245.jpg
bd5193105025474221245.jpg (29.14 KiB) Viewed 6473 times

THATBOATGUY

Re: BLACK MAGIC II

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I've made a centerboard for my Nimble 30 and it was dead dog simple. Making one for a Freedom 40 I'd probably charge around $2,500 complete (not counting yard expenses). But here's the rub. The board for the Nimble 30 was not required for ballast. She had a 2 inch lead shoe added to her keel to compensate for not having the weight of the deeper draft model. All I had to do was make the board heavy enough to sink itself and that was accomplished with a filler of puck made of sand/resin. Since the entire project was encapsulated in epoxy/glass it has stood the test of time. On "our" Freedom 40 the centerboard is quite heavy. The figure discovered in correspondence between the first owner of hull #4 and Tillotson Pearson is #2000! Or one ton. I was told by one person that the OZ version ran twice that at two tons! Of course I have no way to confirm that. I couldn't purchase two tons of lead for anything like the price I quoted above, so this needs to be taken into consideration. The centerboard in our boat and another built in 76 are both iron. Correspondence indicates that they were already toying with the idea of the lighter constructed boards at that time. By the early 80s the lighter boards were standard and no one I've spoken to associated with the production at that time has any memory of the iron boards.

One thing I can't emphasis enough is that there simple is no single set of figures that covers the early Freedom 40 boats. With at least three builders and plenty of variation/experimentation in the early years you have to take any figure with a grain of salt and simple look hard at the boat you have at hand.

All in all, I think that you will have to speak with your local yards/tradesmen/surveyors to determine cost of repairs and upgrades that are meaningful. Also, no matter what you *think*, it will cost twice as much and take twice as long... heh heh This is the voice of a guy on year three of a six month refit on a Freedom 40 CC CK. :)

The pay off huge though! What a pleasure to sail these boats.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi,

Considering all the upgrades you want, why not look for an other F40? There are a few other boats on the market. I would say $ 40 - 50 K would be a fair price for Black Magic.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Ive seen that boat from the outside and a friend who is also a Freedom owner has looked it over Id be very apprehensive in regards to the asking price. Keep in mind that the boat has been on the market for years and its not selling. I certainly realize the yacht market is high here relative to the US or Europe but even so I believe the cost and time needed on Black Magic will be more ( as it always is ) than expected. Its not going anywhere, id be putting in a politely rude offer to make the work necessary, some one has to take the loss. The market determines the price & it hasnt sold in 3+ years.
Cheers Dale Tournier
Freeform.