F21-Reefing

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
Rick@RISE

F21-Reefing

Post by Rick@RISE »

Happy Wednesday all!

Winds here in the DFW area are up this time of year, 35 mph today.
I've been sailing at full sail most of the times, even though the F21 has an easy reefing system.
My issue, I'm a paraplegic - that in itself just means I get around differently..
How does one setup the lines for reefing easier? If I put the hooks(don't know tech name) in the cringles they tend to easily fall out when
the sail is down. Don't ask me to put them in while the sail is up.. ain't gonna happen. Moving around is a problem and why sailing a Freedom is so much more fun for me then a J24.
This little boat is a blast to sail, but it's that time of year when I will start taking others out and I want a good experience for them and not to scare them out of the water.

What are you doing to keep the reefing lines in place?

Thanks!
Rick

gar

Re: F21-Reefing

Post by gar »

hi Rick,
when you put the reefing hook through the luff cringle, tape up the hook stem with insulation tape which increases its diameter and which prevents it falling out accidently when you raise or lower the sail.
cheers,
Gar

Rick@RISE

Re: F21-Reefing

Post by Rick@RISE »

Thanks for the response! I had thought about that, but also thought perhaps there was just some spiffy way to do it that I was clueless about..

Tape for the win!