my 1st big sail in my F25

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
yarrow

my 1st big sail in my F25

Post by yarrow »

to,
Just got back from my 1st big cruise on my F25 'Gonzo', sailed from Wickford to Newport, spent the night then sailed around beavertail through Dutch Harbor and to Potters cove, and then home. The trip was a lot of fun and we had the best wind possible with a perfect building sea breeze from Beaver Tail all the way to Potters Cove. The boat did a top speed of 7.5 knots with only main and a staysail and was very comfy to sail, I learned a lot from this sail and have a few items to add to my check list.
Tomorrow, depending on wind I hope to sail to Block Island and back and test out the Kite which will be interesting to say the least. In the end I'm really happy with the boat I bought and it's everything I wanted it to be. Gonzo still has a long list to work through and I have much to learn about sailing a cat rig with a rotating wing mast, but considering my 2nd sea trial a week ago we took on over 50 gallons of water on our trip the boat has come along way.
cheers,
yarrow
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

GeoffSchultz

Re: my 1st big sail in my F25

Post by GeoffSchultz »

GREAT! Glad to hear that you're having fun. My personal experience is that I have the wind against me both directions to/from Block, but I hope that your experience differs. Enjoy!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

RoyalBlue

Post by RoyalBlue »

yarrow wrote:... but considering my 2nd sea trial a week ago we took on over 50 gallons of water on our trip the boat has come along way.
I'm curious, could you expand on how and why that happened? Was there any damage from the water? Maybe I can learn something from your experience.

Jack Woods

Post by Jack Woods »

I've taken my first two sails the past two weekends and have to say the sailing performance
is exceeding my expectations. The pointing ability is better than anticipated and jibes are fun.

I'm shooting for three sails this weekend and trying out the new spinnaker and staysail too.

Jack
1983 F25 round mast #184 Badaka
Yanmar diesel

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

keep us posted on how ur sailing goes, my 1st time with the gun mount went poorly be careful to get the sequence right.
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

Jack Woods

Post by Jack Woods »

I had two long sails this past weekend and the boat was great.
The first day I was out with my youngest daughter (26) and her bulldog. She loved the simplicity of the boat compared to the Tartan and genuinely seems reinvigorated (sp?) about sailing again. We launched, flew and retrieved the new spinnaker from the cockpit...she was very impressed! I did have to go forward to nudge the pole out at first (I'll work on making it a bit smoother).
My second day I brought a freind from the club and a very good sailor who is also not shy about giving his opinion on things. He loved the boat and thought it sailed better and faster than his Columbia 30.

So all in all I am very happy with the F25. Tomorrow night is the first Wednesday night race, I probably won't flash the new Haarstick staysail just yet....

Jack
1983 F25 round mast #184 Badaka
Yanmar diesel

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

Sounds really nice and you are making me jealous that my F25 is not in the water yet. I do have to agree with you about how the boat performed and friends comments, I had a few friends who own all sorts of boats include Far 30's, and all sorts of other boats. Everyone I took on the boat were surprised at how the boat sailed up wind and down. The F25 is not a performance boat by any means but does move along quite well, and is no slouch.
cheers,
Yarrow
95' B3 I-14
providence RI