F45 Performance

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
KismetGil

F45 Performance

Post by KismetGil »

My wife and I are looking for a new boat and are very interested in the F45 CC. Thanks to those who responded to an earlier post regarding sail handling from the cockpit. Two other issues which were not satisfactorily resolved by a sea trial are the motoring and sailing performance. Regarding motoring performance, what can we expect for cruising speed and max speed? During our trial cruising speed appeared to be around 6.3 knots -- based on what was later disclosed as a potentially faulty speedo and variable wind conditions (our boat had wing keel, 3-blade Variprop, and 75 hp Yanmar). Regarding sailing performance, the boat we sailed had been retrofitted with loosely tensioned roller furling head sail. In approximately 10 knots of wind (true) we made around 4.5 knots -- but two battens came out of their pockets and at best the results we witnessed are suspect. (BTW this boat had a "serviceable" fully battened main.) Any insights as to expected boat speed under various wind conditions and heading would be appreciated. Also, how much wind do you need before you raise the sails?

Finally, if anyone with a F45 would be up for an afternoon of "on-water tutoring", we would love to talk and happy to compensate you. We'd be happy to exchange contact info via a Private Message.

Hans

Re: F45 Performance

Post by Hans »

I am willing to give you any info you want, but can do that only by mail or phone. Will be available to do so from somewhere beginning august when I hope to arrive in the Netherlands. Sailing the coming weeks from the Azores to Holland.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

TomBianca

Post by TomBianca »

Greetings, we have a Freedom 45CC on the Chesapeake and sail often. would be happy to discuss and share experience...Tom King/Die Walkure Freedom 45CC

Kewlbreeze

Post by Kewlbreeze »

TomBianca wrote:Greetings, we have a Freedom 45CC on the Chesapeake and sail often. would be happy to discuss and share experience...Tom King/Die Walkure Freedom 45CC
Tom Bianca - if you are still on the forum - my wife and I are also interested in the performance of a F45cc with a wing keel. Can you share with us the performance you normally see under sail and motor.

Thanks
Dennis Frakes
Houston