Fresh Water Head and Effect on Calcification?

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
THATBOATGUY

Re: Fresh Water Head and Effect on Calcification?

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Hi,

Vetus has some new style tanks that are pretty cool. They are like a bladder tank and can fit into various odd spaces but with a twist. One slides the tank in, inflates it with air, and then bombards the insides with a special ultraviolet light. The resins inside the tank are activated by the light and harden into the new shape. They are great for water or holding but a tad pricey. In a lot of applications I could see them as a viable option in the event of; a. "Save the Vacation" or b. "It's cheaper than the labor of removing all this cabinetry/cabin sole).

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Michel

Post by Michel »

THATBOATGUY wrote:
Michel wrote:It's the combination of urine and salt water that creates calcium (don't ask me where the calcium comes from, from either the urine or the sea water). That's why scuppers stay calcium free.
Exactly my point. Remove one or the other and you have no problem.

George
Removing the urine would be best, filthy stuff anyway. but it would render a toilet pretty useless if you couldn't pee in it.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Michel wrote:Removing the urine would be best, filthy stuff anyway. but it would render a toilet pretty useless if you couldn't pee in it.
Actually, in general urine is sterile.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Or you could go the extra little effort to CLEAR THE LINES with a few extra pumps of seawater.

I'm out. If anyone still doesn't get it I give up...

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

THATBOATGUY wrote:Or you could go the extra little effort to CLEAR THE LINES with a few extra pumps of seawater.

I'm out. If anyone still doesn't get it I give up...

George
Actually George, I think that you're over simplifying the problem. There's a much more detailed discussion going on at http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/sh ... p?t=108175 on the same subject. I'm hoping that the discussion there will lead to more understanding as to what causes calcification.

I recently spent about 2 days replacing the majority of my sanitation hose with Shields Poly-X http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ?pid=14411. It was expensive, but this isn't a job that I want to do again and I'd much rather get a product that potentially won't calcify as much and won't smell (not that we've ever had that problem.)

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

jamesmx5

Post by jamesmx5 »

Friend of mine has a Catalina 36. Got tired of the smell and plumbed in a second fresh water tank several gallons smaller than the holding tank. Now, no smells, and when the head's fresh water tank runs dry he knows it is time to pump out.

amatuana

Post by amatuana »

Composting toilets are the way to go. Best thing to hit boating since fiberglass.

I had a very stinky F28CK. Took out the holding tank and pipes. Replaced with natures head toilet.

http://www.natureshead.net/

I did not get around to hooking up the vent last summer. I was on board last week after it being closed up for a month or so - no smell. This was containing last summers usage of a young family of 6. Urine you need to dispose of regularly.

Additionally, 2 less through hulls.

I am planning to replace my toilets on my F40/40 with composting toilets.

Thanks- John
F40/40 & F28CK

rengarch

Post by rengarch »

My husband and I are a recent owner of a Freedom 32'. We cannot seem to get the odor of the head (or is this sea water odor?) from the aft berth. When I open the starboard lazarette the odor is concentrated, but when left to ventilate, the odor completely disappears from the lazarette and aft berth.
Will a vinegar additive help and how much do you flush into the head.
We just had the yacht yard change the hoses, much to our disappointment, the odor is still there.

Thank you in advance for any leads or suggestions.

Rita

arthur fonzerelli

Post by arthur fonzerelli »

i wouldnt say its enviable but nessesary for most boaters yes fresh water sounds good because salt has salt and thats what youre seeing in the hoses solidified salt

GeoffSchultz wrote:I'm in the enviable process of replacing my head hoses due to calcification (or whatever that &*@# is builds up in there). I was quite amazed at how small some of the 1.5" hoses had become. Some were easily down to 1/2".

Anyhow, I was talking to a friend of mine who has their head plumbed with fresh water and he was claiming that his hoses don't calcify. Can anyone vouch for this?

-- Geoff

arthur fonzerelli

Post by arthur fonzerelli »

try changing you diet!!
Michel wrote:
THATBOATGUY wrote:
Michel wrote:It's the combination of urine and salt water that creates calcium (don't ask me where the calcium comes from, from either the urine or the sea water). That's why scuppers stay calcium free.
Exactly my point. Remove one or the other and you have no problem.

George
Removing the urine would be best, filthy stuff anyway. but it would render a toilet pretty useless if you couldn't pee in it.