Leak from holding tank or??

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Tim

Leak from holding tank or??

Post by Tim »

Can anyone help me solve the problem of leakage into my bilge from the head in my '95 Freedom 35. In particular the holding tank seems to be either leaking or draining into the bilge from an area around the overboard discharge seacock located under the cabin floor beside the head. I'm wondering if I've got a valve turned the wrong way, (according to the manual everything is ok), or if something else is wrong. Have you experienced anything similar on your boat? If not do you have any idea of what the problem is other than, heaven forbid, a hole in the holding tank or a leak from one the inaccessible head or holding tank lines. If that is the problem how do I access those areas? - Thanks - Tim

GeoffSchultz

Re: Leak from holding tank or??

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I don't have a F-35, but I'd carefully search for the source of the leakage while cleaning up the mess/smell. Any of the things that you mentioned are possible. Re-tighten all of the hose clamps. Unfortunately there's a good chance that the problem is a leaking tank. Good luck and let us know.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

fmolden

Post by fmolden »

Tim, I assume that you are talking of a Pedrick designed F35. If so you can access the holding tank through the starboard lazerett, just remove the plywood in the back.

I think I would try blocking the overflow vent then one or two pumps to pressurize the tank slightly. Wet all hose connections with a solution of water and dish soap and look for bubbles.

When I pump to the holding tank I can hear the water going into the tank. I don't use the overboard discharge at all.

Good Luck

Cloud 9

Post by Cloud 9 »

I have a Pedrick Freedom 35 and was experiencing a holding tank leak. While you can access the tank as mentioned above there is no way to service the tank (let alone get it out to fix it). My leak was between the plastic 90 elbow at the forward end and bottom of the tank. The only solution was to remove the tank. The tank is obviously installed during construction before the deck is put on. I had to take a sawzall and cut the tank into pieces to get it out. Not a fun job to say the least. I'm replacing it with a sealand 11 gallon plastic tank which will slide in to the old location. I'll also have a macerating pump to empty it while offshore (with a key switch to keep the Coast Guard happy). The sealand tanks have two discharge fittings, one for the deck fitting and one for the overboard discharge. I've replumbed everything and removed the Y-valve. Everything goes in to the tank first then it get's emptied by pump out or the macerator.
While I was at it I removed the old Rariton PHC toilet and replaced it with the Tecma easyfit macerating toilet. One final note on taking care of odors.. most of the odors come from stuff sitting in the hoses. You have to flush the lines clear everytime you use it to avoid this problem. With the Raritan head you had to pump the thing twenty times to do this. Now just push a button and walk away.
Last edited by Cloud 9 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michel

Post by Michel »

If you select a new tank, look for one with all the connections on the top of the tank. Holding tanks with the connections in the bottom or sides is asking for trouble in the long term.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Cloud 9

Post by Cloud 9 »

Yes, the Sealand tanks all have fittings which exit the top of the tank. They have internal dip tubes which eliminate external side or bottom hose connections.
Attachments
holding tank.jpg
holding tank.jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 7168 times