Slender tall propane tank for F36

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
brico

Slender tall propane tank for F36

Post by brico »

I have that narrow but deep propane tank at the back of the Port side cockpit locker. Bottle I found on the boat when I purchased it is an older one stamped as 1992, 22inch tall and 6inch diameter with WC (water capacity) of 15 Lbs. There is a little gas in it but trying to refill this at the gas station in Canada is not working. I'll try in US, however of I find that the bottle is screwed up and not possible to refill, where can i find a bottle that slim that would fit the storage compartment on the boat?

Petar
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

wcwcwc

Re: Slender tall propane tank for F36

Post by wcwcwc »

Try to locate a welding supply shop. In US they can recertify old tanks and are used to refilling odd sized ones. May sell you one too.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

here you go

http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com/pro ... minum.aspx

the specs at http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com/Lib ... .sflb.ashx

you want the model 6. I have a Freedom 30 using same bottles.

Some years ago the US changed the law re the overfill protection valve making the older bottles obsolete, providing the cylinder industry with a massive boost and us users with a massive screwing. Consider yourself one of the screwed.

However rather than throwing your old bottle away you can buy a retrofit valve at an RV parts store (have them install and test it too). Be prepared for them to laugh at your little wanker of a bottle. Also clean the bottle up before you take it in, they have a right to condemn a bottle if it looks rotten.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

brico

Post by brico »

Mike,

Thank you kindly. this is great information. They have the one I need.

Petar
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

peterjulia
Location: Peter McLean • F30 • #103 • Shooting Star • West Vancouver, BC • CANADA

Post by peterjulia »

Hi Petar,

I thought I was going to have trouble making the necessary changes to the 22" tall tanks on our F30. Sounds like you may have the same tank.

I'm in BC and simply took my tanks to a Chevron station. Their propane delivery guy picked up my tanks when he came in for a fill, and presto - 7 days later - I had two re-certified tanks with a deeply stamped date (10 years from now - govt approved) on the aluminum. New valves, purged and somewhat polished. Total cost for both tanks was 100 Cdn. A new 6 lb Worthington tank at West Marine is 200 Cdn.

brico

Post by brico »

Thanks for the lead. i did find an outfit in Surrey, Pacific Propane Bottle Recycling who are going to recondition the bottle and replace the valve with new conforming one for $30 CAD and re-stamp it for another 10 years of use. As you said WM sells those for $200 before tax. Seattle WM had them for $170 before tax so not much better. I am sure that the locker on F36 is deep enough to fit a CNG bottle but not sure if my stove/owen would like CNG which has little less calorific value but much safer than LPG. I had it on my previous boat an liked it a lot.
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage