F36 freezer / ice box capacity?

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
brico

F36 freezer / ice box capacity?

Post by brico »

My Adler Barbour evaporator packed up. Unsure how old it is and if it came with the boat in 1986 so I need a new one. Would anyone know what is the cubic feet capacity of ice box/freezer on F36? I see them running for $419.99 for 9 Cu. Ft and 3" insulation at Westmarine. has anyone come up wit better fridge/reefer solution than standard ones?

Additionally, with the evaporator couplings disconnected is it possible to test the compressor? I'd hate to lose the refrigerant gas and have to refill the same.
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

Freedom145

Re: F36 freezer / ice box capacity?

Post by Freedom145 »

The easiest fix is to replace the old unit with a like Adler Barbour refrigerator/freezer. If your existing unit lasted over 25 years a new one should certainly satisfy your needs. Also, don't try to save a buck. Replace the entire unit to ensure optimal performance and warranty coverage.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

If the evaporator is bad this means it lost pressure and vented the refrigerant. At least this is the logical assumption. If your compressor is still good and you deal with it quickly you can replace the evaporator but you will have to evacuate the system and replace the refrigerant. When I have done this I've always used the opportunity to add a filter dryer and of course, service ports.

Having said all that, I think my recommendation would be to replace the entire unit, particularly if it's been open to the air for a while.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

If it's circa 1986 it's probably R12 and you can't get that gas any more. Replace the unit with something that uses a current refrigerant.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

MaloPoMalo

Post by MaloPoMalo »

Did anyone share the box capacity for the F36/38?