Freshwater pump leak

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
dlynch

Freshwater pump leak

Post by dlynch »

We developed a serious leak in our freshwater pump on Saturday when we were sailing to Mount Desert Island on our 1987 F30, Solitude.
Can some kind group member offer any advice regarding either the repair or replacement of the original (?) Jabsco Par multi-outlet pump, Model 36950-1180. According to their web site, this pump is no longer manufactured but perhaps the parts still are. The leak is coming from the bottom plate and I was wondering if it could possibly be a defective pulsation dampener. We are also interested in replacing the pump, if necessary, with a newer Jabsco but the footprint would have to be identical to the original because, after the addition of a third house battery, there is virtually no room beyond the current installation.
Thanks in advance to all for any and all assistance you can provide.
Don

THATBOATGUY

Re: Freshwater pump leak

Post by THATBOATGUY »

It is most likely a bad dampening diaphragm. I have a few of those style pumps and a box of parts. I'll poke around and see if I have one with that model number for you.

Where are you located? Bacon's in Annapolis always has a good supply of those pumps used.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

dlynch

Post by dlynch »

Thanks so much for your reply. Since my post I have learned that these pumps are, in fact, still available. I'm seriously considering ordering a new one but they aren't cheap.
Solitude is currently on her permanent mooring in Blue Hill, Maine. I will be flying to Kansas City next week to score AP Psychology exams for the College Board so it will be difficult for me to check this forum regularly. I will be sure to check to see if you do have a used dampener ASAP.
Thanks again for your kind reply.
Don

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I checked the tub that has those pumps and parts and I don't have one for that pump. The two pumps I have on hand are both larger than yours. I *think* the part number for the dampner for your pump is 37178·0000.

If you discover that it's truly bad, give Jimmy a call at 850 785 5002. He is my go-to guy for pumps and when he can't help me directly he sends me in the right direction. A stand up guy for any boat parts.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

dlynch

Post by dlynch »

Thank for checking George, and thanks for the "go-to" name and telephone number.
Happy sailing!
Don