watermaker katadyn 80E

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
daletournier

watermaker katadyn 80E

Post by daletournier »

Does anyone have a Katadyn 80E and if so does the electric motor run quite hot? Only recently fitted mine its 3-4 years old but never been used. It puts out slightly more than the 13l/hr that the specs suggest and water is of good quality. Amperage draw seems on the high side and motor after prolonged running seems to get quite hot. Any thoughts to whether this is normal?
Cheers Dale Tournier
Freeform. F32

Mike Holibar

Re: watermaker katadyn 80E

Post by Mike Holibar »

Dale,
does the motor have a rating plate showing voltage and amp ratings? The heat suggests it is running under load but this can be deceptive. AC ratings indicate the amount of current that is required to raise and maintain the temperature of the windings at 80 degC above ambient. So with and ambient of say 20degC the windings at rated current would be 100C, far too hot to touch but still ok. As the unit is producing above normal output this suggests that it is running faster, which would tend to rule out electrical faults like shorts. Is it possible it is a 12 volt unit connected to a 24 volt supply? Alternatively, If you can hold your hand on the hot motor, then the chances are it is working within its rating even if it feels hot to you.

Cheers,
Mike Holibar
S/V Fyne Spirit of Plymouth (Freedom 39PHS-1989)
Lyttelton
New Zealand

daletournier

Re: watermaker katadyn 80E

Post by daletournier »

Hi Mike Im obviously a bit slow I only just saw your reply. The unit is working fine now no more blowing fuses. The only thing I can put it down to was it being new resulting in the pump or something being abit tight? Anyway my Xantrex meter shows that current draw is cycling in range or better put averaging out to about 8amps which is what it should be. Im sold on the whole 12 volt water-maker thing, we've used it alot over the last 4mths as the F32 only carries 200L of water better still we've been using the excess power being generated by solar/wind to make the water. Not being trapped by power and water on a boat changes cruising.

Cheers Dale Tournier
Freeform.