Holding Tank

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
mydoggeorge

Holding Tank

Post by mydoggeorge »

I am looking at purchasing a Freedom 36. However, it does not have a holding tank. Could anyone provide information about the ease, potential location(s), and/or rough cost of retrofitting a holding tank on this boat?

brico

Re: Holding Tank

Post by brico »

Strange that the boat does not have a holding tank?? My 1986 F36 had an original holding tank in the space under the washing basin in the head and only access to it was via Port settee. It was custom made to fit that space. I purchased my boat last year around this time and noticed that it was pretty smelly and i had difficulty pumping it out and my marcerator pump did not work properly. Last December I decided to repalce that tank with a new one. I removed all hoses, cut open the hole in the corner and pumped the remaining contents out :mrgreen: . I cut it in slices and managed to remove the entire tank. Considering te space it was in i decided not to replace it with same shape but bought a new 20 gallon plastic tank from Ronco Plastics , model B137 which cost me $300 including shipping and all fittings I wanted with it.I installed it under the port settee and had ample space to run all hoses i needed
Contact details:
www. ronco-plastics.net
Tel:714.259.1385
Fax:714.259.0759
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

bbarnewolt

Post by bbarnewolt »

On my 1988 F36/38, the old holding tank was converted to a fresh water flushing system and remains in position under and just aft of the wash basin in the head. There is no connection to the fresh water system of the boat. A new holding tank was then plumbed and installed under the v berth. The v berth holding tank can be emptied from a deck fitting or discharged overboard using a macerator pump. Nice to have a fresh water flushing system, though it would be great to use all of that space under the v berth for something else.
Brien
1988 F36/38
Mattapoisett, MA

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

My 93 F38 (#154) had a similar arrangement as bbarnewolt has. Paul Dennis installed a 30 gallon tank under the v-berth and the old tank was left to be used for freshwater flushing. One thing I did find is that the vent line that was installed to the new tank was too small, only 1/2 inch. Peggie Hall, the Head Queen, recommends a 1" line to ensure aerobic bacteria action. Last summer the smell was awful anytime anyone flushed the head. Hoping this change will solve it.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

mydoggeorge

Post by mydoggeorge »

Thanks for the "heads up" everyone. This gives me encouragement that a refit is manageable and good information.

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

I'd suggest looking at a composting toilet, and get away from the thruhulls, hoses, tank, and the non-durable innards of the toilet pump, and (perhaps) the 3-way valve.