Head Sink Question

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Ereiss

Head Sink Question

Post by Ereiss »

I'll be replacing the old flesh colored sink in the head on our Freedom 38. I note that it has something like a guillotine to cut off the drain from the sink. Given that I have a thru-hull with a shut-off at the end of the drain line, I'm assuming that this strange fixture isn't necessary. Am I wrong?

Has anyone found a good source for stainless sinks that fit into this strange sized oval opening? the hole is 11.5 high by 14.5 wide.

Wishing you all a happy new year.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Knevins

Re: Head Sink Question

Post by Knevins »

I think the cut off is to prevent backflow when heeling over. Might be an issue in ocean sailing in a storm, but not for me...

Please post if you find a stainless sink that fits the existing hole.

Kerry Nevins
1987 F 36/38
Gloucester Point, VA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I've closed mine when heeled far over and water was splashing into the sink and on to everything around it.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

JimD

Post by JimD »

Shurflow has a ss sink that is close. Requires opening the cut out. The "black box" is a RV? Shut off valve. My 38 came with a 3/4" thru hull with out a seacock. With the new sink replaced the thru hull with a 1" thru hull and seacock, eliminating the need for the black box. If you can not find the model number drop me an email and I will try and find my. Info on the sink.

Jim Demerest
F 36/38 Lady of Remes

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

The closest I've been able to find is a sink from DecoLav (annoying contrived name) called the 1210-p. Will have to increase the hole size east-west, and the existing hole is slightly large north-south but should be covered by the self-rimming part of the sink.

http://www.wayfair.com/DecoLav-Simply-S ... V1235.html

the "p" stands for polished, I think without the "p" you get brushed. Anything will look better that that old yellow/orange plastic sink. Also found a great deal for a replacement shuffle Trinidad faucet for about $85. The old one just looked tired, and pitted. sort of like me.

https://www.ambassadorfaucets.com/cart/ ... cts_id=587

I clearly have too much winter time on my hands that I'm planning on projects for spring already. I'm always amazed that I put the boat away in perfect shape and by April there are dozens of things that must be done on it. What gives?
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

wcwcwc

Post by wcwcwc »

I don't know if there are stainless sinks available but I did find an almost identical plastic sink at an RV dealer in either Dartmouth or Westport, MA on route 6.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.