Galley and head sink drains

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
brico

Galley and head sink drains

Post by brico »

Hi,

My galley (double) sink as well as single head sink both drain into 1 1/2" seacock just forward of the galley sink. 3/4" seacock above it is piped to supply flush water for the toilet. Wit the seacock open to drain sinks 3/4" line to head sink fills with seawater and is almost full for the entire length. Standing sea water can start smelling so has anyone plumbed their drains differently. On the sink drain do you have a loop to prevent the smell returning when the water drains? Any better ways of plumbing lines to prevent standing water and bad smell?
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

rvivian

Re: Galley and head sink drains

Post by rvivian »

I'm trying to re-plumb the head sink drain on my F-30 to eliminate the long 3/4' drain back to the galley sink drain because I've installed a battery bank where it used to run. (Gets rid of a bit of a list as well as adding house bank capacity.)

Since I'm installing a composting toilet to replace the head I'm thinking about plumbing the head sink drain to the holding tank thru-hull after I remove the holding tank; but, as discussed in the previous message by Ereiss, I think I'll need to have a valve to shut off the drain. That does not sound like it is very convenient.

Some boats route the sink drains to a grey water sump and pump it overboard, eliminating the direct sea water drain issues.

I've yet do finalize what I'll do, so I'm interested in other ideas too.

rvivian
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

brico

Re: Galley and head sink drains

Post by brico »

I may do the same thing. My shower drain is routed to a container in the bilges with a separate level gauge and discharge pump so draining the head sink into it makes sense. The galley sink drain is shorter and is used more often and once opened contains less standing water.
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage