Prime the freshwater system?

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Rick Simonds

Prime the freshwater system?

Post by Rick Simonds »

My sink/shower freshwater pressure pump  went bad. It turned out to be the pressure switch so I got a new one ( $20 on ebay instead of $60!)

I installed it this morning and the pump runs and occasional littles squirts of water comes out, but no joy.

Is there some trick to getting the system to prime?

( first post ever from the boat, anchored off the beach, with my smartphone. Technology is wonderful.)

Rick
Tallahassee

midnightsailor

Re: Prime the freshwater system?

Post by midnightsailor »

Rick, what kind of pump are you using?
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

The original one, a Jabsco (Par?) Kind of a crank-a-diaphram up and down looking thing. It looks like something from the early days of the industrial revolution.

It looks a lot like this

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 1&id=85028

Rick
Tallahassee

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Might be time to bight the bullet. Newer pumps are quieter, more energy efficient and self-priming.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

I believe it may be time for a rebuild or at least replace the intake and outlet valves....both arevery easy to do and parts for these pumps are readily available. You need to look at pump, generaly posted on the motor, to see what model exactly. I have several of these on Seasop and have had them on other boats for years , they have good and bad points, ie:noisy but rugged and parts are easily available. The pumps are EXPENSIVE to buy new, there are now much cheaper replacements. Good point, self -priming and can be run dry without damage. I believe as long as you have them, they are worth rebuilding as long as you don't have to replace expensive parts like the motor or housing (all, BTW, are available) PM me if you need more specific information and I can give you my phone # so we can talk.
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

I had the industrial revolution pump when I bought the boat. It was loud but it worked and I don't recall it requiring a prime. About five years ago it packed up. I considered parts replacement but decided to replace the entire unit with the Jabsco 460102900 Par-Max 2X 2.3 Gpm. It works fine on my 30, is quieter and it is compact which was a big deal for me because of the tight space in the battery area below the chart table (F30).
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

When I bought a new pump so I could install a starting battery, I put the new pump up behind the galley drawer. Had to do some plumbing, but the hoses were probably ready for replacement anyway.

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

Thanks everyone. It was pumping water well enough before but the plastic housing of the pressure switch cracked and was spraying water everywhere. I replace that switch.

I should have said that while the water system was out of commission I also repaired the leaky faucet in the galley. When I remove the cartridges in the shutoff valves it looks like most of the water from the hot water tank drained out, so I know that I do have a lot of air instead of water in the system. That's why I thought it was a priming issue. I'll pull the pump out again and just hook a short hose to it and try pumping some water from a bucket. If that works I'll keep looking at priming, if it doesn't work,... I guess the pump doesn't owe me anything after 30 years.

Rick
Tallahassee

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

Oh, and Sailmon, I grew up /learned to sail about 60 miles east of you in Ashtabula. I miss the Great Lakes. The ore carriers on the Great Lakes were something of the family business, both my father and grandfather were captains.  I did a summer's worth as a deck hand. Is there still a sailing race there call the Falcon Cup? I remember crewing in that half a dozen times and that it was a huge big deal, a massive number of boats.

Rick
Tallahassee

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I've heard people say if you can sail Lake Erie, you can sail anywhere - so it sounds like you got started in the right place. Shallow, quick to anger, steep, square, short period waves...

Falcon cup is still held every summer - from Cleveland Yacht club (west of Cleveland) to Mentor Harbor Yacht Club (east of Cleveland - about a 26 n mi course. Always a great party at MHYC at the end. We haven't done the race in years, but it was always great fun - and a challenge. As the saying goes, if you don't like the weather on Lake Erie, wait 15 minutes, it'll change.

If you're ever back in the area, give me a shout - we'll take you out for a nostalgic ride on her Diamond.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH