Prime the freshwater system?

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
doggerel

Re: Prime the freshwater system?

Post by doggerel »

I have similar issues with my 20+ year old water system. When I run her out of water, and I tend to do that alot, she won't move water when I switch tanks.

Lots of air in the system.

What works for me is to open all the taps, alternating hot and cold, until the sputtering stops and she finally starts pumping. I have an accumulator tank that is probably a part of the issue.

I also have a manual foot pump to move water without the battery and have used that to pull some water into the filters when she is really stubborn, but giving the air an opportunity to bleed off is the key for me.

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

I ended up with a new pump. It was  $100 for the rebuild kit for the old one or about $140 for a really good newer style pump, on sale. Might as well get the new one. It is quieter and it pumps a lot more water.

I installed it tonight getting ready for my once-a-year race ( http://www.smithregatta.com/default.asp)  In my form of racing it's important to have a working galley; the quality of the food and drink during the race is more important than the finish result. My friend's girlfriend, a fabulous cook, has agreed to crew this year and a non-working galley sink simply wouldn't do....

Rick
Tallahassee

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

Just a follow up on this about something that, for me, was an unforeseen detail: now that I have such a strong and efficient pump, WOW do I use a lot more water. For the second time I thought something had gone wrong and discovered that what had gone wrong was that the tank was empty. It seemed like I had just filled it! It now goes quick, probably twice as fast. It all makes perfect sense of course and, for me, it's not that big a deal, I'm more of a weekender / day sailor than a cruiser nowadays, but it's something to watch when I do go on my occasional longer trips.

My small, surprise discovery; there's nothing wrong with having a good, strong water pump but, at least from a water use standpoint, perhaps more serious cruisers might make a strong argument for installing a far wimpier pressure pump instead...

Rick
Tallahassee