F39PH Plumbing

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Alain

Re: Water tank vents

Post by Alain »

THATBOATGUY wrote: I'm confused, why on earth would you feel a need to vent the A/C water cooling circulation lines?
So am I :oops: . These pipes come right out of the cooling unit and through the hull at the waterline. A proper valve at the throug-hull is probably what I should have written in the first place. Or is it being too cautious?
Alain
Naïade, F39PH '83, Montréal

Michel

Re: F39PH Plumbing

Post by Michel »

My A/C and refrigeration water outlets don't even have a seacock, let alone an anti siphon valve. The 12v fridge water pump is self priming, but the 110v A/C water pump has to be bled.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Tom

Re: Water tank vents

Post by Tom »

Siphons vents on the port side, yes, one is for the shower pump, the other for the bilge pump. They connect to the 2 through-hull above the waterline on the port side (see picture attached). Had to change both vents last summer Hard to reach, the through hulls are located behind the water heater, in front of the water tank.
Do you have A\C's in your boat? If so, make sure that hoses coming out are vented. On my boat, they were connected directly to through hulls, without anti-siphon vent[/quote]

My bilge pumps exit the boat out the stern, both the manual cockpit pump and the electric located in the bilge by the galley. I may try to use the second thru hull for an AC drain. I do not have AC but want to install a unit myself. Any suggestions on brand, size, location would be helpful.

Tom

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Tom,

Why do you think that an A/C water coolant line needs to be vented? It shouldn't be able to drain back into the boat.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Tom

Post by Tom »

GeoffSchultz wrote:Tom,

Why do you think that an A/C water coolant line needs to be vented? It shouldn't be able to drain back into the boat.

-- Geoff
Geoff,

I did not intent to use the thru hull as a vent but as a drain for an air conditioner I plan to install in the future, if the location works.

Tom

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I did not intent to use the thru hull as a vent but as a drain for an air conditioner I plan to install in the future, if the location works.
I guess that I'm confused as I assume that you mean a drain for the condensate as opposed to the raw water coolant. If that's correct, how will the coolant ever make it over the vent loop? If not, please explain where you're thinking of using it.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I'm going to have to add a box and pump for shower pump-out. I wish that the a/c unit were closer to where that's going to be but with it under the galley sink I will either make my own "condensator" type venturi pump device or run the condensate into the bilge and let the bilge pump handle it.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

markedwards

Post by markedwards »

The vent hoses and fill hoses on these tanks were mounted on the side wall of the tank several inches below the top. If you fill your water tank to the top and then place on the fill hose cap immediately after filling, you fill find that the vent hose will continue to siphon water out of the tank to the ends in the bilge forward of the engine until the siphon is broken when the water level in the tank reaches the vent hose fitting and air is introduced. You loose a lot of water this way. Try leaving the filler cap off for a few minutes to "burp" the tank. Water may still siphon out but only until this filler hose serves the purpose of the vent and allows air to equalize.

The water tanks may be secured in part with two-part pour-in-place foam which would serve to glue the tank to the hull side.
Mark Edwards

Tom

Post by Tom »

markedwards wrote:The vent hoses and fill hoses on these tanks were mounted on the side wall of the tank several inches below the top. If you fill your water tank to the top and then place on the fill hose cap immediately after filling, you fill find that the vent hose will continue to siphon water out of the tank to the ends in the bilge forward of the engine until the siphon is broken when the water level in the tank reaches the vent hose fitting and air is introduced. You loose a lot of water this way. Try leaving the filler cap off for a few minutes to "burp" the tank. Water may still siphon out but only until this filler hose serves the purpose of the vent and allows air to equalize.

The water tanks may be secured in part with two-part pour-in-place foam which would serve to glue the tank to the hull side.
Mark Edwards

Mark,

Thanks very much,

Tom

Alain

Post by Alain »

markedwards wrote:The vent hoses and fill hoses on these tanks were mounted on the side wall of the tank several inches below the top. If you fill your water tank to the top and then place on the fill hose cap immediately after filling, you fill find that the vent hose will continue to siphon water out of the tank to the ends in the bilge forward of the engine until the siphon is broken when the water level in the tank reaches the vent hose fitting and air is introduced. You loose a lot of water this way.
Mark,
At last a proper explanation to the mystery of the self draining tank on my PH39. I tried to explain this self-draining phenomena to other people, they'd think I was crazy…
Alain
Naïade, F39PH '83, Montréal