Bottom paint for F32

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
johnfreed0

Bottom paint for F32

Post by johnfreed0 »

I'm having the bottom painted on my F32... maybe. If the total price is too high, I going to do it myself. Does anyone know the surface area below the waterline for an F32?

It would also be instructive to know how much of what paint it took to do the bottom of an F32. If will probably change since we can use really NASTY bottom paint down here compared to what's allowed in the states... go figure.

Thanks

jr
S/V langsam

Rick Simonds

Re: Bottom paint for F32

Post by Rick Simonds »

My shoal draft Hoyt 32 uses 7 quarts for 2 full coats everywhere and 3 coats on the waterline and leading edges of the rudder and keel. (I use Pettit Trinidad. It works great in the Gulf of Mexico.)

Rick
Tallahassee

tomwales

Post by tomwales »

Painting your own bottom will cost significantly less than what a yard will charge. You'll want to prepare the surface properly. Usually a thorough powerwashing will suffice. However, if you're thinking of using a multi-year paint over a soft or annual paint, you'll most likely need to sand. I would figure about a gallon per coat.
I used a multi-year last year for the first time and will report on it's effectiveness when I have the boat hauled this fall.

Teke's Pride

Post by Teke's Pride »

tomwales wrote:Painting your own bottom will cost significantly less than what a yard will charge. You'll want to prepare the surface properly. Usually a thorough powerwashing will suffice. However, if you're thinking of using a multi-year paint over a soft or annual paint, you'll most likely need to sand. I would figure about a gallon per coat.
I used a multi-year last year for the first time and will report on it's effectiveness when I have the boat hauled this fall.
So, how did it do?

I need to paint the bottom of my F21 ASAP and am looking for the best product to use. I race and cruise on freshwater but I want to be able to trailer to the coast to visit family in Florida or maybe even enter the Dolphin Island Race this spring on Mobile Bay.

Does anyone have experience with, VC17, Micron Extra, or Regatta?
Last edited by Teke's Pride on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I've used Micron Extra for the past 2 years and have been very happy with the results. When I pulled the boat this fall, there was no growth and I won't need to re-coat next year.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

I've had very good results and longevity with Trinidad SR in the brackish waters in Eastern North Carolina. Herm

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I have used Micron Extra for a number of years. In Boston Harbor in an area with a lot of slime growth the bottom does collect some slime. This is very easy to brush off and sailing especially with any wave action washes it all off so its clearly not adhering well. Lasts 2-3 seasons with minor touch ups.

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

FWIW,
I wish I had read this post before I applied bottom paint to my boat. I put 2 nice coats of Trinidad paint on my boat. I ordered 3 gallons as I read on line that 2 gallons was necessary and maybe needed a quart or more. Hence 3 gallons. I did not need more than about 7 quarts (less than 2 gallons). I have almost enough for a second bottom job.