Removing Bottom Paint

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
shaka2

Removing Bottom Paint

Post by shaka2 »

This topic was split from a topic titled "Bilge", but it diverged so the moderator created a new topic.

-------------------

Thanks everybody for your input. I appreciate every bit.
Probably breaking some sort of rule, but any advice on removing "bottom paint" . Even though the Freedom I just purchased spent its entire previous life on Lake Champlain, I believe it had been bottom painted. I will be keeping her on Lake Winnipeauskee and don't see the need for"bottom paint"? Its all chipped and fallining off.
I have just started refurbishing the hull- (avove the waterline) following closely the step-by-step directions I recently got from this group.

Thanks,
Joe

GeoffSchultz

Re: Removing Bottom Paint

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Check out this post: http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic. ... 93&p=39751

Note, you will need bottom paint unless you want to spend your summer scrubbing the bottom.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

jamesorr

Re: Removing Bottom Paint

Post by jamesorr »

Removed what looked like 14-16 layers of various bottom paints a couple of years ago on a Mull 32 (1988) -- same problems you mentioned. It was a fair amount of work (used a soy based stripper for a company called Franmar, I believe), which encompassed probably a half dozen application/strip sessions (was getting a couple of layers per cycle). But, at the end, had the bare gelcoat layer back, which looked to be in great shape. None the less, coated with VC-Tar (belt and suspenders) and then used VC-17. This seems to be the preferred coating in Rochester at least. It goes on quick and soooo thin, that it would be hard to believe that I will have the same build up problem again. Probably not the right coating for a boat in a warmer clime that sees more wetted time, but for the great lakes and a six month boating season in fresh water, it seems to work.
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY