Engine Paint Suggestions

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
GeoffSchultz

Engine Paint Suggestions

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Yesterday I was adjusting the valves on my generator and started looking at the paint on the engine. I was dismayed to see that I had quite a few places where it was flaking off. So I chipped the bad paint away, wire brushed the rust, and then coated it with Ospho to etch any of the remaining rust and convert it to iron phosphate.

My next question is what to use for a paint. I'll be painting it in place with limited access to some sides, so spray paint isn't an option. The generator is painted white, so I want to stick with white. I don't think that I need an engine enamel as I don't think that it gets that hot and from what I can tell, the original paint wasn't high temp engine enamel.

Any suggestions for readily available paint?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Re: Engine Paint Suggestions

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I've always had excellent luck with Rustoleum. Consistent high quality, readily available, economical.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

THATBOATGUY wrote:I've always had excellent luck with Rustoleum. Consistent high quality, readily available, economical.
That's what I got, but I wasn't sure if that was a good choice for the engine.

There are some aluminum components that I'll clear with Alumaprep and prime with Alodine. Should I prime the iron sections with a metal primer? Should I also coat the aluminum sections with the same primer?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Sorry for the late reply,

I use zinc chromate on aluminum and feric oxcide on pretty much everything else. But, you can use the feric oxide (good old red primer) on everything. In fact when the military finally figured out how carcinogenic the zinc chromate was they switched us to the f/o primer for our aluminum (nuke certified) trailers.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage