Added ballast to the keel of a Freedom 39 DS?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
monroe

Added ballast to the keel of a Freedom 39 DS?

Post by monroe »

We've made it 180 miles south down the Oregon Coast. With the long ocean swells from the west, our '83 Freedom 39 deck salon rolls up to 15 degrees each side to side. This is a bit uncomfortable, and puts some strain on the masts and booms going back and forth. Mast creak is LOUD.

The ballast to displacement ratio is 28.6%. Boats I have been on that are more stable in similar conditions are about 10% more than this. I am considering the option of adding more ballast to the bottom of the keel so she doesn't roll as much. Has anyone done this? Considered this? Thoughts?

Thanks

Doug Monroe
s/v Spartan, currently Coos Bay, Oregon.
Douglas Monroe
s/v Spartan, 1983 Freedom 39 Deck Salon
La Paz, BCS, Mexico

bad

Re: Added ballast to the keel of a Freedom 39 DS?

Post by bad »

Sounds like you had no wind but waves? If you want to add more ballast I would consult an naval architect. Rolling motion is less intuitive than stability. A boat that loses its rig will have a lower center of gravity but will be more rolly. More ballast will increase the loads on your hull and on the rig. You may also have luck with hoisting a reefed main or a specifically designed sail to limit the rolling.

Where are you headed? W e are in the SF Bay.

Erik

monroe

Post by monroe »

Thanks Erik.

We did have wind, 5 to 10 kts just off the stern. We had the main sail up. The foresail is not an asset sailing down wind unless we can wing on wing, as the mainsail blankets it. The roll was enough to overcome the wind pressure on the sail and cause the main sheet to slacken, then BAM as the wind and other side off the roll took the boom out again. We finally rigged a line to hold the boom out, that took care of the boom slack, but the boat was still rolling and the mast creak was still loud.

We are headed south, no particular agenda. We will probably come in to San Francisco Bay. Any advice where to anchor?
Douglas Monroe
La Paz, BCS, Mexico

bad

Post by bad »

Depends on how good an access to shore you want. You can anchor in Richardson Bay - reasonably sheltered, good access to Sausalito, probably works OK for longer term. Aquatic Park - right on the SF City water front, swells, pretty, not sure about how long you can stay. Clipper Cove - East Side of Treasure Island, sheltered, bus connection to SF, China Park - North Bay, Marin side, good wind shelter from prevailing SW, waves from ferries and commercial traffic, beach. Angel Island - sheltered, strong currents, access, fee for moorings, beautiful, Angel Island is a nice place to hike.

You can also work your way up the Delta, lots of sloughs, harbors, places to anchor and get away, ~50-70 miles upriver/down wind. Getting back to the Bay is obviously downriver/upwind.

e

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

If you decide to anchor in Clipper Cove, come say hello. I'm in the middle of the marina there closest to the first gate (blue hull, Freedom 38, Kynntana). I think the city allows 5 days in Clipper Cove before you have to move on for at least 2, but I can check and get back to you. There are very few boats there during the week and can be a large raft ups during the weekends. Be extremely careful entering around low tide. There is shoaling at the mouth of the cove nearest to the Treasure Island Sailing Center. You have to stay to the right side (west). Best to time it for high tide but it's still shallow if you cross straight down the middle. Be aware of your depth.

As to the mast creak, you might need to change the partners. I've been speaking with some friends about this who have different boats so more info is needed before I dive into it. Svendsen's up the Alameda Estuary could advise you. Going up the Delta is certainly less expensive in all matters, but it's a lot of motoring.

Carliane
Kynntana, Freedom 38

bad

Post by bad »

Gamayun/Doug - maybe a Freedom rendezvous in the near future is in order!!!

Clipper Cove was the first place I ever anchored overnight in SF back when I had a Santana 22. Seems like most of the anchoring since has been while racing, trying to hold position against the current and waiting for the wind.

Doug - on your way down, Bodaga Bay (salty little fishing harbor) and def. Tomales Bay - do only enter on a flood tide, low waves, with a following breeze - is lovely. Lots of small sheltered anchorages on the west side of the Bay. Two good Oyster companies - would need a dinghy - on the east side. And then Drakes Bay is a good halfway point from there to the Gate.

Erik and Evi
Freedom 40 CC Raven

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

A Freedom rendezvous would be fun. I'm out most every weekend. Keep me posted!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

monroe

Post by monroe »

I've decided to just trust that Ron Holland knew what he was doing, and not try to modify the keel.

We did find we were listing to port when we got moved on board and tanked up the port fuel tank (PO had used the stbd tank exclusively, guess we know why now). I got a bunch of canned goods moved out of the galley storage and to the stbd side, are using from the port water tank, as well as the port fuel thank. The boat now lists slightly to stbd, so I will add water to the port tank. I scraped off the barnacles that had grown on the bottom two inches of the port boot stripe. We seem to be down a little in the front, too, I think due to 250' of 5/16 chain. I'll see what I can shift astern until we haul and paint, we'll raise the line a bit.

Currently in San Francisco bay. Our big orange cat has a blocked urethra, so we're in town until he's got the plumbing fixed. Currently moored at Marina Village Yacht Harbor on Alemeda.

Thanks to bad and gamayon for the advice, hoping we get to meet up while we're here.
Last edited by monroe on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Monroe
La Paz, BCS, Mexico

Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

I think the solution to your rolling might be a lightweight staysail tacked down to the rail and sheeted to the end of your main boom.

I have one for my '83 28CK and have used it crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca when there's a light wind but good sized waves rolling down from the ocean. It adds a lot of stability.

Allan
Allan Derickson, Lacey, Washington State, U.S.A.
Gulliver
Freedom 28 Cat Ketch (keel version, conventional booms and fully battened sails)

IandI

Post by IandI »

I am wondering about the keel on the freedom 39 ketch. is it an encapsulated keel or bolted to the hull?
Thanks
Steve