Freedom 28CK Review

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
tanton37

Freedom 28CK Review

Post by tanton37 »

Just to let you know...there is a great review of the Freedom 28CK in the current issue of Good Old Boat magazine outlining the many attributes of this design
.........but of course.....I already knew that!!!! ;>)
~~~/)/)~~~ David

VeloFellow

Re: Freedom 28CK Review

Post by VeloFellow »

Your post piqued my interest so I ordered the "back issue" and enjoyed reading the review. The Freedom 28 Cat Ketch "Catnip" reviewed is the fixed keel version. A Centerboard version owner from Warwick RI added boxed comment section.
Always fun to see various points of view.

"a rare cat ketch and uncommonly good coastal cruiser"

As to our 28CK, Clave' is a centerboard version and it was born in England as a Freedom 30 (what you count when you measure? Some think bigger in name better?)

There are three interiors I have seen. The one which I first saw and attracted me to the Freedom 28 was that found on Wing n Wing a 1979 centerboard cat ketch now apparently in southeast florida. It was the open interior with the head and galley in the aft part of the cabin port and starboard. Clave has that stern arangement but has the bulkhead and a folding door for the vee birth cabin.

The big boat feel, the easy to control rig and deep cockit are great for our comfort when sailing. The shallow draft has already allowed us to anchor between the powerboats driven on the beach and the big boats just a bit farther out...a nearby unused convenient no mans land.
Not a sit on racer cruiser. It is not a quick tack boat up a narrow channel. It is a pocket cruiser.

My boat is particularly experienced. It has sailed the North Sea, the Med, crossed the Atlantic, been a home in the Caribbean for almost five years and entertained three previous owners in Florida. That experience challenges me to learn to care for her and sail her well...and knowing what it has been through lets me appreciate what it can do for me.

Uncommonly good coastal cruiser, at least.
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop