reseating aft fixed ports

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
jowiarton

reseating aft fixed ports

Post by jowiarton »

I'm about to take out the port and starboard aft fixed ports (the bigger non-opening windows) on my 1985 F30 and reseat them to stop leaking. I'd like to replace the crazed glass. Any suggestions from someone who has done this would be appreciated. I've reseated the opening ports on the boat so know the general drill, but these look different. I'm looking for the replacement glass/plexiglass also. Thanks.

Tricia

Re: reseating aft fixed ports

Post by Tricia »

I have done mine. Took the plexiglass out of the frames once I'd removed them from the boat and had a local plastics shop cut new lenses from plexi.

The cutouts in the cabin sides were oversized and there was exposed balsa core, so I sealed those with epoxy and built up areas where the frames didn't overlap the cutout sides by much.

Cleaned out old sealant in the cabin sides and frames - a combination of scraping and scrubbing with methyl hydrate or silicone sealer remover.

Sealed new lenses into frames and frames into cabin sides with Dow Corning 795.

I talked with Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks about the process at one time and he recommended replacing the plexi with tempered glass, but I decided to stick with plexi and have been satisfied with the results.

jowiarton

Post by jowiarton »

Excellent. Thanks for the detailed reply. Any particular reason for using the Dow Corning 795? I'll talk to Paul Dennis about the tempered glass option. I'd guess it would be considerably more than using plexi. Thanks again.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I too am contemplating replacement of the deadlights on my 1991 F38. I was thinking about tempered or auto windshield (sandwich) glass and someone pointed out that the sides of the deck house on the F38 have a slight curve to them. Whie plastic (plexiglass or polycarbonate) will bend to take the shape of the house sides, glass will not. I haven't looked carefully at the issue - but suspect the concern is correct. Not sure if it would be an issue on your model(s).
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

jowiarton

Post by jowiarton »

Well, tempered glass can be shaped to fit, including curves. Think of your car windows. I'm mostly concerned with the cost of custom glass fabrication. I'll ask Paul Dennis about the curved window question too when I reach him.

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

The Dow Corning 795 is a structural silicone that is used for sealing windows in high rises. Silicone is compatible with acrylic, unlike things like sikaflex or 3M4200. DC795 and GE Silpruf (I think) have higher adhesive qualities than most silicones. Sika does make a silicone (295) for sealing plexi, but it requires the use of an expensive primer, and it's really stiff to use in a mechanical caulking gun. DC795 is relatively inexpensive and very easy to squeeze and tool. I bought it from a local industrial adhesives place. Hope that helps.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Makes sense that tempered glass can be bent - but wondering how the glass supplier would get the correct curve. Also wonder about the cost of custom designing/bending the 3 one-off deadlights. When auto manufacturers design a curved windshield, they spread development costs across millions of units. I would greatly prefer glass to plastic if lenses can be created at competative price.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

If your windows are just "glued in" only with the sealant I'm not sure what you should use for that (not plain silicone or 5200, I know that much.) If there are some screws or other fasteners actually holding it in and then just sealed with some sort of goo, I have really become a convert to, and a proselytizer for, butyl tape. This stuff is wonderful. It doesn't have any structural adhesive strength but it does seal between things neatly and perfectly, pretty much as a no-mess, can't-miss operation. You can get it apart later without much trouble. My Hoyt 32's plexiglass windows finally don't leak at all.

See some good instructions here:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware

This guy sells it, and his butyl is probably fine, but I got it much cheaper at the RV/camper supply store.

Worked great for me....

Rick
Tallahassee

jowiarton

Post by jowiarton »

Just fyi on the butyl tape thing, which I'm going to try with deck hardware...http://sundownersailsagain.com/butyl-tape/