Deck Drains on Freedom 36/38

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Belanich

Deck Drains on Freedom 36/38

Post by Belanich »

Our Freedom 36/38 has plastic deck drains between the stern rail and the most aft stanchion. Do all Freedom 36/38 have these drains or were they installed by previous owner? One of the drains cracked during the damaged the rear cabin so I would like to remove them if they are not needed.
deck drain.jpg
deck drain.jpg (85.82 KiB) Viewed 7265 times

gamayun

Re: Deck Drains on Freedom 36/38

Post by gamayun »

It was probably installed by the PO. My 38 does not have them, but I'm thinking of adding something like this because the water pools at the aft section of the deck. It's not so bad now because we don't get much rain, but an area with more regular precipitation would probably result in creating rot at the toe rail. I'd leave it and fix the cracked strainer. While you're making repairs, you might also want to make sure the drain is well flush with the deck and it has a good sealant.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

I'll keep the drains then. I'll replace the cheap plastic drains with Marelon drains.

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Am curious where they terminate....is it out the side?
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

The hoses run aft and terminate next to the cockpit drains. The drains are made of cheap plastic and have a hose connector at a right angle. The hose was not supported and the weight of the hose must have cracked the fitting over time. The PO globed on a ton of silicone as a temporary fix. If found the cracked fitting when I took apart the aft cabin to fix water damage. I will replace the angled with straight fittings. I just bought the boat way under market value because of the water damage to the aft cabin. Otherwise the boat is in great shape.

bbarnewolt

Post by bbarnewolt »

My 1988 F36/38 does not have these deck drains
Brien
1988 F36/38
Mattapoisett, MA

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

That sounds like a good plan on a great deal of a boat! I've been so happy with my 38 -- three years this January. Happy sailing :)
Kynntana, Freedom 38

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I believe the deck drains were a factory option. On mine the deck fittings are bronze and have turned green from exposure. Is the green flange in your picture bronze or plastic? On mine, the elbow below the deck flange was plastic and crcked from freezing during winter storage. Thankfully, damage to our aft cabin was minimal. The stbd drain hose runs horizontally along the enclosed wire chase in the aft cabin and then drops toward the drains in the mechanical area behind the aft cabin. The hose has enough of a dip in it that it collects water that freezes - creating a plug. Subsequent rain or snow melt then accumulates behind the ice plug till it reaches the elbow and deck flange. When it freezes there, it cracks the fitting(s). The portside drain hose runs diagonally through the sail locker to the drain and does not accumulate water.

My approach to dealing with it involved replacing the plastic elbow with a bronze one... actually did both sides. Now, when I lay the boat up for winter, I pour -50 water system antifreeze in the stbd deck drain till it runs out the drain below. I then put duct tape over the deck drain to prevent water from entering. On the port side there is no need for antifreeze because water does not accumulate - but I tape over the deck drain so no water enters over the winter.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Now thinking about it the deck drain does look like oxidized bronze. This makes the fix easier - I'll replace the elbow with bronze like you did. Thanks

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Just purchased these stainless steel deck drains to replace the old bronze and PVC ones. The question is what do I bed them with? I've successfully used 4000UV and butyl tape to bed deck hardware and I tend to prefer butyl tape. However I'm not sure if it will work well. Any suggestions?
IMG_20151118_180803.jpg
IMG_20151118_180803.jpg (134.03 KiB) Viewed 7098 times