Topic 1000

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
tnltracy

Topic 1000

Post by tnltracy »

Just noticed there were a total of 999 topics under physical Systems, so I was thinking in the interest of spinning up some conversation I'd open this topic up as the 2015 season winds down for us in the cooler latitudes...

So here's the question: What's your winter project list?

Here's what I have planned so far:

[ ] Replace manual bilge hose from pump to bilge
[ ] Replace galley basin drain hose
[ ] Seal leaking bow mounts
[ ] Test all engine sending units and alarm per Yanmar manual
[ ] Replace top 2 battens in mainsail
[ ] Reinforce/ protect coolant hoses on engine
[ ] Add 2nd sheaves to traveler / Replace wheels?
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

Craig

Re: Topic 1000

Post by Craig »

Some of these are being done by me, but many of them are done by checkbook.
I am in the midst of having the wood in my main cabin refinished.
Overhead liner replacement.
Replace galley faucet.
Add under sink filter
Redo bilge pump
Possibly rebed hardware exposed by removing the headliner.
Replace Mack Pack and jib cover.

and most important: Arrange for 3 month leave of absence to cruise from RI to Maine and Nova Scotia.

Craig sv ReJoyce Freedom 40/40 Barrington, RI

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

1. Replace house bank batteries. Thinking of going with two 6v rather than a couple of group 31 12 volts. Like AGM so I don't have to remove them in the winter.
2. Keel has to be stripped, faired, barrier coated and bottom painted. Yard won't let me do this work so waiting for estimate.
3. Complete installation of Balmar Smartgauge battery monitor.
4. Would love to have cabin sole refinished but budget may not again allow it. Don't have garage or basement (live in condo) so DYI not in the cards.

I'm sure as the winter wears on I will find other things that need (want?) doing. It is always amazing that I put the boat away in perfect condition and by spring it needs so much work. Only 5 ½ months till launch.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Craig

Post by Craig »

I did the 6 volt golf cart battery conversion last spring. My boat had 4D batteries so two golf carts fit right in. I got regular batteries from Sam's Club, and after doing the math and lots of help from the cruising sailor's bulletin board that turned out to make the most sense. I am not a believer in removing batteries, and with the 4Ds it was impossible. It is doable with the golf carts but I don't think it is necessary. A couple of times per winter I throw on the charger for a day and then all is well.
The big sealed batteries were just too expensive for what you get.
Take a look at the conversations on the CSBB.

rafontaine1

Post by rafontaine1 »

In 2001/2002 when I purchased my 36 I revamped the electrical systems and installed 4 six volt Surret golf cart batteries under the galley sink. A few years ago it was time to replace those. About 11 years of service. Replaced them with 4 six volt golf cart batteries from SAMs club. Best value for the Amo Hour. Easy enough to check water level and cells. They stay in the boat all winter as I store in the water with charger on.

Projects this winter/spring
-Just ordered new Dacron mainsail from Thurston for 2016 (jib in 2017)
-Finish replacing headliner
-Flexible solar panels on Bimini with MPPT controller
-Class B AIS transponder
-Screens on over head hatches (I hope - been promising the admiral screen for the past 14 years)
Rich Fontaine
s/v Liberte
Freedom 36, 1986
Portsmouth, RI

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Craig wrote:and most important: Arrange for 3 month leave of absence to cruise from RI to Maine and Nova Scotia.
I'm with you on priorities!!
1984 Freedom 32 #28

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

I've also dropped main and jib with Doyle Sails here in RI for full inspection, cleaning and repair... Starting to make plans for new sails at some point in the coming seasons.
1984 Freedom 32 #28

bobr

Post by bobr »

Thinking about trying to improve the insulating properties of my refrigerated icebox. Currently running the engine twice a day for 30 to 40 minutes each time to keep the batteries charged. I run it in the afternoon anyway to heat shower water, would love to reduce it to once a day.

I'm not sure how good or bad the factory insulation was on a Pedrick 35. Or what would be involved in upgrading it. Any thoughts?

Ed, my keel needs a little work, too. My survey was done by Dwight Escalera who recommended something called Cholrid to remove salts from the metal prior to priming and fairing. I hadn't ever done it that way before so I thought I would pass it on. May explain why I could never keep primer on the iron keel of my Pearson 26!
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Ereiss wrote:1.
4. Would love to have cabin sole refinished but budget may not again allow it. Don't have garage or basement (live in condo) so DYI not in the cards.
Hi Ed,

Did you previously refinish the cabin sole? I'm looking into recommended approach as they're pretty beat up and need it. I thi8nk You had posted a few years back with a recommended varnish finish for the wood and would love to hear how it worked.
1984 Freedom 32 #28

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

No, I've not refinished the cabin floor yet. Each year to falls below the boat buck allowance threshold. Probably will Shan this year. Wish I had a garage or basement and I would do it myself. Condo living does have its limitations I guess.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA