weird crack from hull to keel

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
jimmyg

weird crack from hull to keel

Post by jimmyg »

20160326_154651.jpg
20160326_154651.jpg (89.6 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
i have a f 25 and want to fix it before i put it in i have a few pics if anybody has any ides it wold be great their is a crack from hull to keel and if i fill the bilge with water it weeps
Attachments
the keel is bolted to hull and bilge and it dose not appear to weep much below wear the hull meets the bilge and the bilge is 8 to 12 in deep thanks for all your feedback
the keel is bolted to hull and bilge and it dose not appear to weep much below wear the hull meets the bilge and the bilge is 8 to 12 in deep thanks for all your feedback
20160326_154653.jpg (74.97 KiB) Viewed 11129 times
20160326_154701.jpg
20160326_154701.jpg (87.42 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
Last edited by jimmyg on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bad

Re: weird crack from hull to keel

Post by bad »

The location is hard to tell from the pics. Leading edge of the keel to hull? In any case, it looks like a joint from manufacturing. If you have keel bolts then those take up the structural loads and the glass is mainly keeping out the water. If it is an encapsulated keel without bolts in the bilge then the glass is more important.

How good are your fiberglas skills, what's the history on the boat, and what kind of sailing are you doing?

Erik

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

If this is external ballast and boat is in otherwise good condition - you're probably not going to want to hear this - but proper fix would be to drop keel, grind everything clean, re-bed & reinstall keel, then glass over & fair keel to sump joint. Weeping water is of particular concern in that it can attack keel bolts.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

You are right to be concerned about this condition. With the hull in the water the forces pushing water into the hull would be far greater than gravity causing the weeping of water from the bilge. I sustained similar damage after a hard grounding in my F25. My insurance company totaled the boat, and I bought it back from them. (I have yet to repair the damage).
Check the integrity of the stringers under the floor boards and the condition of the hull right behind the keel. My grounding pulled the keel down in the front and pushed it up in the rear, cracking some of the stingers and de-laminating the hull around the keel trunk. In my case the area in front of the keel was further compromised because the depth sounder sender, was installed right in front of the keel. I suggest you take the weight off the keel by raising the pads on the boat stands. If by grabbing the keel at the bottom, you can easily swing the keel from side to side, you have a bigger problem than just water intrusion. If the keel does not move side to side a lot, you are in luck and you may be able to get away with repairing the damage without dropping the keel. Another thing to be concerned is about is possible water intrusion in the balsa core. Down the center line of the hull you will find solid grass but to either side of that there is a balsa core.

Happy repairs,
Jim D

jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

i have lifted the boat and checked the keel and zero movement no other cracks or bruising on the exterior but the interior of the bilge walls are rough thaink you

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

Sounds like you got some good advice ,but it really would be more helpful if you could post some more wider view shots. The close ups are good but also need to see more of the Boat too so people can. See where the damage is. I'm only guessing that these are from the keel/ hull joint, the garboard area in a wood boat.
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

midnightsailor wrote:Sounds like you got some good advice ,but it really would be more helpful if you could post some more wider view shots. The close ups are good but also need to see more of the Boat too so people can. See where the damage is. I'm only guessing that these are from the keel/ hull joint, the garboard area in a wood boat.
Attachments
20160328_171705.jpg
20160328_171705.jpg (171.36 KiB) Viewed 11036 times

jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

jimmyg wrote:
midnightsailor wrote:Sounds like you got some good advice ,but it really would be more helpful if you could post some more wider view shots. The close ups are good but also need to see more of the Boat too so people can. See where the damage is. I'm only guessing that these are from the keel/ hull joint, the garboard area in a wood boat.
Attachments
20160328_171747.jpg
20160328_171747.jpg (75.25 KiB) Viewed 11036 times
20160328_171732.jpg
20160328_171732.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 11036 times

bad

Post by bad »

Ok, thanks for the pics. Looks like your backyard :). Without knowing more about the history of the boat - are you the new owner and was the boat in dry storage when you bought it, or are you a longtime owner...

It would be nice to determine if there are any serious structural issues. Keel bolts hold it all together. Bedding compound keeps the water out. An actual crack that goes through the floor would be bad and needs glass work. All these fixes, if done right, likely involve dropping the keel .

....and that involves taking the keel off. The boat has to either come up, or the keel down. For the latter, you could dig a 3+ foot deep pit under the keel, some 1" ply as a floor, maybe a steel plate to help one or two car jack rolls... support the keel, loosen the nuts on the inside and lower it. You definitely want some bracing around the keel because you don't want it tipping on you. It would be nice to get a couple of feet space to work on the hull. Sand or grind the hull until you get a better understanding of the problem. In any case, it's a major job. :(

There may be other, more temporary fixes, like caulking around the keel to hull radius, but really want to make sure there are no structural issues.

Let us know how it goes.

e

jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

hi i am back i am the 3rd owner i think. i finely started work on it lifted the floor and in the front corner of the keel wear it meets the hull is wear it leeks very poor laminate job must have been a Friday. there are 3 structurelle ribs that have delaminated from the hull and keel. the bedding is good. Question in the keel at the very back keel bolt. the bolt is longer then the rest and there is cement of sum sorte hold it elevated and in place what is it dose any won now i will try to post pics thank you.