hatch and portlight gasket (redux)

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
mstewart

hatch and portlight gasket (redux)

Post by mstewart »

hello:
I know there have been previous threads on this topic, but I'm starting fresh. I have a 1987 Freedom 30 whose rubber gaskets need to be replaced on both the hatches and portlights. The questions therefore are:
1. who made the portlights, and does anyone have a good source for the replacement rubber gaskets for this brand of portlight? these are gaskets that have the little lip, not the stick on kind.
3. If I cannot find the gasket with lip, has anyone had luck with the stick on gasket, or used another solution?
2. can anyone confirm I have the right hatch model and gasket parts: bowmar pompanette cast hatch and the gasket is part P100-52? The photo on the pompanette website is singularly unhelpful--you cannot see the cross section of the hatch gasket.
4. Any other advice on the gasket replacement? All was well, but we've gotten more leaks lately. I pulled the one portlight gasket to run to the chandlery (no luck) and now cannot get it back on without leaving a gap, and won't touch the hatches until I have the right gasket.

Any help is welcome!
Thank you!
Margaret
s/v Yamadu f30

Belanich

Re: hatch and portlight gasket (redux)

Post by Belanich »

Most likely Bomar. They made my 1987 F38 portlights. Go to the pompanette.com they now own Bomar. If it's not on the website call or email - some parts are not on the website.
Michael Belanich
DOLCETTO F38

sailmon

Re: hatch and portlight gasket (redux)

Post by sailmon »

Around 15 years ago we had a similar problem with leaking opening port gaskets on our 1987 F30. As noted, the original gaskets are integral to the port and cannot be replaced without destroying the frame. We had a number of conversations with the very friendly customer service poeple at Bomar, who ended up sending us their peel and stick gasketing to try on an experimental basis. We carefully cut the old gasket off where entered the frame and replaced it with the peel and stick. It worked great and was still working well 5 years later when we sold the boat. When you cut the butt seam, be sure to do it on a 45 degree angle to discourage water dripping in. Not 100% sure, but I believe we were instructed to locate the seam at the bottom of the port.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH