F-35 Shower seat Collapses - the fix

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Mark K.

F-35 Shower seat Collapses - the fix

Post by Mark K. »

Hello,
My 1994 Freedom 35 had a shower seat that folds out but collapses when sat upon. I replaced the original Perko folding support brace with new pair of "Perko #0762DP1CHR Hatch Support Brace 10" and it cured the problem. 6 of the 8 holes lined up with the existing holes but I did need to drill 2 new ones. I then installed the 2 old folding braces to hold open the folding steps at the companionway when needed. I am very pleased with the results.

BillSmith

Re: F-35 Shower seat Collapses - the fix

Post by BillSmith »

Thanks for the post. We've owned our F35 Pedrick since April and while this hasn't happened, mostly a matter of...not yet. Braces on the folding steps a good idea. I've thought of putting struts on the navigation table in lieu of the tension spring. My a few points lower on the IQ scale from frequent "Oops, BANG" dropping top on my noggin' when bumping spring.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

bobr

Re: F-35 Shower seat Collapses - the fix

Post by bobr »

BillSmith wrote:Thanks for the post. We've owned our F35 Pedrick since April and while this hasn't happened, mostly a matter of...not yet. Braces on the folding steps a good idea. I've thought of putting struts on the navigation table in lieu of the tension spring. My a few points lower on the IQ scale from frequent "Oops, BANG" dropping top on my noggin' when bumping spring.
Bill,

I'm on my second year with hull no. 46.

Last year I collapsed the spring that holds the nav table up several times, it was always quite a surprise despite being in plain view.
This year my brain appears to have figured out a work around, I haven't done it once.
I also installed a similar spring on the companionway step where the garbage can resides. Now I can use both hands to wrestle an overfilled bag out of the can.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT