Two cockpit locker ideas

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
RadioZephyr

Two cockpit locker ideas

Post by RadioZephyr »

I finally implemented a couple ideas that I had for making the enormous cockpit locker on my F38 easier to manage, and I figured I'd share them with the forum.

First, I attached a small LED flashlight to the underside of the locker lid:
IMG_0004 (1).jpg
IMG_0004 (1).jpg (165.45 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
The flashlight is just a generic one from Amazon. It's super bright. I paid $18 for this two pack. The bracket that's holding it is made for vertical storage of brooms, and attaches with 3M Command strips. The fit is nice and solid, and it pops in and out easily. I got this four pack for $23.

Here's a closeup of the bracket:
IMG_0005 (1).jpg
IMG_0005 (1).jpg (133.78 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
I had the idea for this after my shift cable broke a couple weeks ago as I was coming into the marina after dark. I was stuck in forward, idling towards my neighbors' boats with no room to turn around, and I had to jump into the locker and shift into reverse on the transmission. However, I needed to find a flashlight first, which took way too long. I was able to get it done just in time, but I realized that I need a dedicated flashlight that I know will always be there.

The second idea is a bit more esoteric, but I've still found it quite useful. I mounted a 32" grabbing arm just inside the locker, so I can retrieve things from it without having to climb down in there.
IMG_0006 (1).jpg
IMG_0006 (1).jpg (203.45 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
I've been meaning to do it for a while, but until I found the broom holders I didn't have a way to affix the grabber to the inside of the locker. I got the grabber from a janitorial supply place called Marko. It's the only one I could find that was mostly plastic, and thus wouldn't inevitably rust and fall apart within a season. We'll see how well the steel spring and actuating rod last.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

RadioZephyr

Re: Two cockpit locker ideas

Post by RadioZephyr »

Here's a full shot of the grabber:
IMG_0007 (1).jpg
IMG_0007 (1).jpg (221.95 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
A shot of the grabber in action, as I effortlessly retrieve my binnacle cover after last night's sail, illuminated by the flashlight in its mount:
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg (136.8 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

drcscruggs

Re: Two cockpit locker ideas

Post by drcscruggs »

I like your ideas, especially the locker lights. Thsnks