Have some wood refinishing to do...

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
SFBaysailor

Have some wood refinishing to do...

Post by SFBaysailor »

Hello, All-

My new-to-me 28 CK is going to need a LOT of help on the exterior teak, and a bit on the interior as well. It's been a long time since my days as a BMW (boat maintenance worker) and back then we'd hit it with 2-part Te-Ka, scrub with a brush, sand smooth, and apply Man-O-War spar varnish. There's got to be some awesome new coatings out there, and I've searched, but just about everything is a sales pitch. I'd like to hear some of your processes and reasoning behind them. I like bright teak, but I'm not married to the idea.

Belowdecks, there are a couple of stains below ports that have leaked. Can anyone tell me what the original finish is/was on a '79? PO wasn't much help on this...Wood seems to be a satin, almost rubbed look.

drcscruggs

Re: Have some wood refinishing to do...

Post by drcscruggs »

Fwiw, My boat was varnished over and I love the finish. It is a satin finish varnish. I think it was done by a previous owner. It shows some age but looks pretty good. The areas where the age shows is where you might expect (areas which would entertain more use). I think it looks good.