CRAZING AROUND WINDOWS

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Zengirl

CRAZING AROUND WINDOWS

Post by Zengirl »

Hi all, I will be replacing windows in May 0f 2019. The information I need is how to attack the crazing. I want to do the whole strip around the boat. How would you proceed and what products would you use. Thank you all so much for your input. Well, all my pics are too big to post. I don't understand why. I can post them in all other sites and they are standard pics from my apple phone. Anyway, the crazing is over all of the strip.

Camino

Re: CRAZING AROUND WINDOWS

Post by Camino »

Hi Zengirl— not really certain of your need here .... if you are removing all your portlights and re-installing new ones and want to know how to bed the new portlights - I suggest 3M vhb strips - see video here https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... QyjxVUskd8

Follow up with silicone.

Way better than butyl. (I have many hours of being the butyl boy- the product above is way better imho )

Is that what you mean? Edit again- OR do you mean gel coat crazing on the deck?

On the pics use a pc or MacBook and resize to smallest on export iPhone or iPad doesn’t do it..

Edit here - on “crazing” if you mean you have crazy crack lines on your portlights and how to fix those — you can’t - replace the portlights and do not use any amonia base cleaner on anything! Use soap and water to clean portlights

Zengirl

Post by Zengirl »

Thanks for the advice, but it's not about port lights. I'll replace those with no problem. My Freedom 1985 32' has a wide strip around the whole deck. This is what has crazing in it. I need to deal with that first and then replace the windows. I need to know the process this entails and the products to use. Thanks again.

Zengirl

Post by Zengirl »

I agree with you on the silicone.

Camino

Post by Camino »

Ah zen girl - deck crazing. My f35 pedrick had crazing on virtually all of the smooth(not the non skid) deck and cabin top and sides. Major. We used 4” grinders with 60 and 80 grit and ground off the smooth until we saw no more crazing. Crazing went down to second glass layer. We added new glass Matt and resin. Hand sanded. Sprayed gel coat layers and more hand sanding. Took 6 months. That was almost 2 yrs ago. Perfect still. If you are in CA I can give you name of our fiberglass man. He is really good

Zengirl

Post by Zengirl »

Thanks...that's about what I expected. I'll do it myself come spring time. I'm in Norfolk, Va for the winter, I wish I was in Cali, but it's too expensive for me.
I lived there for years. I'll follow your instructions. Thanks again.

Zengirl

Post by Zengirl »

Thank God, my crazing is just on sides of cabin, so a lot less to do!