THATBOATGUY

Inexpensive 105 amp alternator.

Post by THATBOATGUY »

George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

GeoffSchultz

Re: Inexpensive 105 amp alternator.

Post by GeoffSchultz »

George,

Good article. My only comment is to be sure to use a temperature compensated external regulator. I use an older Balmar ASR-4 regulator with external temperature sensor.

Quite often alternators get cooked by driving them too hard. I know that on BlueJacket, with 2 8D house batteries and a starting battery, that the batteries will suck everything that my alternator can output, which gets the alternator very hot in the confines of the engine compartment. I can watch the voltage drop and the hear the load on the engine change as the regulator disengages the alternator when it gets too hot.

I also wonder about an alternator that's designed for lower output being upgraded with higher output components. Cooling and airflow have to be designed into the alternator with larger, heavier duty cases and components. It will be interesting to see how your upgrade does.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Indeed, heat is the big enemy. I'll be using a xantrex with a temperature sensor. The very reason for exploring this line was because the alternator on the Frankenmaker MKI has failed a couple times due to blown diodes.

So I'm also working on a parallel project that get's the diodes out of the alternator case altogether and into a heat sinked fan cooled box remotely mounted. I'll link over to it when it's done.

I also plan on pushing very hard on this prototype. I'll hook it up to an 8d that I have at the shop and then apply some loads to get the alternator up around full output and keep it there.

George

N1YDY

Post by N1YDY »

any updates, George? I'm really interested in the external diode board. Thanks, Hank

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

It's had to take a back burner for a bit Hank,

My life seems to revolve around preparation for two upcoming events. The Seagull Century ride in less than a week and dropping dock lines on Nov 21.

I do have all the stuff on hand so I will probably make this an underway project. :)

George