Wireless Internet Access using Ubiquiti Bullet2-HP

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
GeoffSchultz

Re: Wireless Internet Access using Ubiquiti Bullet2-HP

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I got a call from Ubiquiti support yesterday regarding the water in the unit. They said that they've seen about 10 units which had this problem...Lucky me! Anyhow, they said that the problem appears to be the sticker (!!!) which goes over the LED status display. It seems that the glue (on the failed units) wasn't properly sealed and they suggested taking a heat gun (set on low) and warming the glue until it becomes soft and resealing it. I must admit that I'm worried about the long term effects of UV on the glue...
The version of DD-WRT that is specific to the Bullet 2 needs an unlock and was $20 last time I checked. I'll go look at the compatibility again and see if they changed it but that's where it stood a couple months ago.
I didn't know that any versions of DD-WRT required payments for private use...Interesting!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I also read something somewhere about water getting into a cat 5 cable and "wicking" up into a unit. It might have been an engenius unit, not sure. But the simple solution was to use the cat 5 direct buriable (sp?) cat t cable instead of just the outdoor uv resistant stuff. The direct buriable type has a gel filled outer insulation. Costs about $0.50 per foot online. It's also a good standard practice to make a cable entry into a device where there is a water seal as straight through as you can and then create a "drip-loop" in the cable below the device.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

THATBOATGUY wrote:It's also a good standard practice to make a cable entry into a device where there is a water seal as straight through as you can and then create a "drip-loop" in the cable below the device.
I sealed the cable at the entrance to the Bullet with silicon. I can't see how water would get into the cable unless the outer casing gets compromised.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I just wanted to let people know that yesterday I connected from 10 miles out of Plymouth, MA. It wasn't a very usable connection, but I did associate and got to the WiFi login page. I will say that I was connected to a commercially run marina WiFi setup with external antennas. However, I was impressed!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

We were having a lot of trouble using our usual open wifi network over the last couple days. Not sure if they moved it inside the house somehow or what but it was very spotty. I broke out the big guns hooked onto a network we had not previously used. I then set our linksys router up as an A/P instead repeater mode to redistribute inside the house. Much better! I'm still very surprised at the receiver sensitivity of the Bullet. It simply "sees" stations that our other routers or wifi adapters don't.

George

peterjulia
Location: Peter McLean • F30 • #103 • Shooting Star • West Vancouver, BC • CANADA

Post by peterjulia »

OK, I'm somewhat late in the game on this one - but based on all of the preceding Bullet2 conversation, I bought the recommended bits and pieces last October and they just arrived yesterday, Dec 16th. Hot items it seems. These are going into the Freedom 30 Julia and I brought up to West Vancouver, Canada from Dana Point CA. I got the recommended Ubiquiti 110V POE unit so I could test the unit pre-installation. I'm wondering what you fellas used for POE. Can't wait to try it out.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I just used a 12V POE adapter that I got from somewhere. But in reality I think that you'll find that your 110V power supply outputs 12V, so all that you need to do is to simply replace that with a connection to the boats 12V system.

-- Geoff

P.S. I had no idea that these units were in such short supply!
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Yep, ship's 12 volt system works perfectly. Just get the right connector for your injector and hook to your onboard dc. Take care that you get the polarity correct. I've heard others hacking the the Cat V cable but this is intelligent imho.

George

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Air-os 5.2 is out for anyone interested. I'm upgrading today probably with this rain. :)

George

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I don't see any updates for the Bullet. The latest firmware is 3.5. Makes me wonder how/why they're at 5.2 for their other products.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40