Autohelm (Raymarine) 6000

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
ketch22

Autohelm (Raymarine) 6000

Post by ketch22 »

My autopilot is acting oddly. When I request it to hold a heading, it behaves intermittently, sometimes working well, and sometimes drifting off course gradually and sometimes making a drastic course change until it hits the end of travel. It worked fine in July and august, but no longer. Has anybody else had this problem?

This particular autopilot has worked well for many years and perhaps 10 to 15 thousand miles. I'm in Florida and on my way to Panama and would like to know its working before I head off shore. Any thoughts?

Tom
Ketch 22

THATBOATGUY

Re: Autohelm (Raymarine) 6000

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I know this is basic and I don't mean to be insulting but has anyone stowed anything metal near the compass recently? So many times as a tech I've heard your exact story; provisioning for a big trip, crew looks for places to put canned goods... "wow, here is this cabinet with only plastic bags and that little black thingy".

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Hans

Post by Hans »

Erratic changes in course seems to be caused by erratic signals from the compass. Faulty cable or corroded contacts?

I experienced something similar also with a Raymarine 6000 after installing a more powerful Balmar alternator with a smart regulator.
This senses alternator and battery temp. and changes output constantly. With this more powerful output with changing field the sensing compass
proved to be too close to the alternator ( 6 ft). Solution: new compass position and everything workes fine since.

Succes, Hans
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

ketch22

Post by ketch22 »

Thanks for the replies sailors. The problem was two cables, a USB extender and an RS 232 adapter cable that were inadvertently left at the below decks nav station, which just happens to be immediately above the autopilot compass.

I checked the connections and they looked good, but when I moved the cables, the problem disappeared.

I'm now is Palm Coast Florida, after having navigated from Fernandina (about 100 miles) without any issues after I moved the cables. Who'd a thunk it? I shouldn't have put them there in the first place.

Oh yeah. The weather in Palm Coast is a frigid 37F, and is predicted to go to 27F this evening. I must be in the wrong Florida.

Tom
Ketch 22
F39 Express :shock:

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Don't dawdle or we will "ketch" up to you! We are taking a free day in Fernandina on Wed. We are in Brunswick tonight and move again in the morning. Looks like we get a stretch of nice weather, might even get us in to Sebastian. :) And yeah, they expect record breaking cold here tonight.

George

ketch22

Post by ketch22 »

Hello George,

I just can't seem to get away from steering issues. My Edson pedestal steering has a heavy chain in it that decided to break a link. I'm having it shipped to Titusville in the Westland Marina, where I am currently stuck until it arrives. I may get out tomorrow, or 1/3 if all goes well.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

We might get you yet! We are in St Augustine tonight and will spend the day here tomorrow. Then it's 50-60 miles per day until we reach Sebastian where we will hang out for about a month.

George

ketch22

Post by ketch22 »

Hello George,

Ketch 22 position report:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/winlink.cgi?call=KB6BT

Currently at Ft Pierce. Crew change today and head offshore for Panama tomorrow. The position report will be accurate as long as we can update by SSB.

tm

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

ketch22 wrote:Currently at Ft Pierce. Crew change today and head offshore for Panama tomorrow. The position report will be accurate as long as we can update by SSB.
Too bad you're going non-stop...there are a lot of nice places along the way that you'll miss...However, safe passage!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

We just missed you. We made Sebastian a couple days ago and this is where we will hang for a month or so.

George