were do the battery's go on a F25?

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
yarrow

were do the battery's go on a F25?

Post by yarrow »

to the community,
I recently picked up a F25 'inboard' and trying to sort out were the Batteries are suppost to be located, can anybody tell me where they originally went? the past owner stuffed them under the settee which doesn't work as the hull is not flat and their is not enough height. I was thinking of putting them behind the Motor on either side of the drive shaft. But also concerned about putting to much weight in the back of the boat?
cheers,
yarrow
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

Tricia

Re: were do the battery's go on a F25?

Post by Tricia »

Mine was under the stbd. quarter berth, tucked in forward and toward the center. I found the original battery strap holders there. Previous owner had it in the cockpit locker. Only had one battery. Because access was a pain, I switched to an Optima bluetop and could pretty much forget about it.
The less weight you have aft, the better, especially noticeable under power, when the stern really squats.

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

I have two 12v batteries, "car-sized" (whatever group number that is). One is in the same location Tricia mentions, while the other is just forward of this, in the next compartment, which also has the water tank. There is a hole in the bulkhead separating the two compartments for connecting the batteries in parallel. Another option would be two 6V batteries in series. If you want a lot of A-h for a lower price, the 6V'ers might be a good solution. FWIW, if I were to only use one battery, I would use the bay with the water tank. Access is easier, and the mass is closer to the c.g. If you want to use a battery box rather than straps, you might find it a challenge to fit the boxes in these compartments. The compartments under the aft ends of the v-berths might be deep enough to fit a battery box, especially the larger one on the starboard size. This one also has a flatter bottom, if memory serves, since it is closer to the centerline. If you put your batteries up here, their mass might offset the mass of the inboard, but you'd have longer cable runs of course, which is more total mass. Under the v-berth is where the batteries on the Frers 30 I race on are kept, and I'd bet German Frers chose the location that would be "fastest"! In any event, I would not put heavy things like batteries aft. I agree with her observation about stern squatting under power.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

thanx for the feedback, at this point I'm not sure where I'm going to put them but will sort out before summer as I'm redoing the entire system in the boat. I want good power as I want to cruise more then race but performance is important!
yarrow
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

lowe

Post by lowe »

I have a 1982 25 and my battery is in the same place as yours. Hold downs and wiring harness are all there. I used to be a Service Manager at a boat dealership and some riggers would put the batteries wherever it wast fastest to install (flat rate shop). They did not know the correct spot or did not care.
1982 25ft wing mast with 7hp Yanmar diesel

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

when I bought my boat the batteries were under the flr on the port side, they were no strapped down and did not have room for covers. This also makes me think about is their a better place to put them, after looking around their were a few strap mounts under the flr on port side but looks like batteries were on their sides which would also mean they were sealed batteries aswell.
cheers,
yarrow
95' B3 I-14
providence RI